Failure of MS Excel to sort properly in value in one row are linked to the values in other by a formula

arunjoshi123

Please see this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0F5ZCsTvPP2Tm9fRWVWT1pZZzg/view?usp=sharing
Open the sheet - Capex. See the value of quantity (highlighted in yellow) for items Laptops and Mobiles by sorting on Item and Category alternatively. You will see, it shows 10,10 once and 10, 100 some other time. By default, sorting is on Item and one can see that I want the number of mobiles equal to the number of laptops (such is my capital expenditure etc. 10 each). I occasionally need to sort on Category and see how project looks. The number of mobiles was set=H29. After sorting on category the formula has become =H32 which is no more number of laptops. Even if I make it $H$29, same thing happens. What is happening? What is the way out? How come H32? Any alternate way to avoid? The interlinks in my model far more complex within a row and between/among rows. I have taken simplest case. What to do? Please let me know if you need any more clarification.

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Hi arun
I tested your sheet in Excel (downloaded and opened it)
I had to change the reference first it was pointing the wrong row, I mobile to point to Laptops
Then changed order a couple of times and the reference was no lost always showed 10
Can not reproduce your issue
Cheers
Sergio

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HypnoFant

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back