File Attachments in Access

smiley1978

Board Regular
Can you attach files to a record in access? (much like you would attach a file to an e-mail)

I would like to attach Excel and Word Documents to records in an Access table.

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
The way to "attach" files to a record in Access would be to put the path and file name into a field within the record. If the Excel or Word file are on your corporate network, then they would be accessable to those that view the record by clicking on a hyperlink that used the address in the field from the record. To create a hyperlink, I believe you have to use a Label control and set one of it's parameters (hyperlink address) to be what is in the DocumentAddress field in the record.
HTH,

Upvote 0
Hi guys,
I use Access 2007 and have a table tbl_Invoices, however as I used to work with excel I did the save invoices as a pdf file.
Now that I am using access I did create in the invoice table a field attachment where I put the pdf files to in.
Now the database got rather big and I was wondering what would be the best way of getting it alot smaller.
Maybe someone had the same experience and could let me know about this.
Many thanks
Albert

Upvote 0
The best way to keep the database small, is not to use attachments.
Access bloats when you use attachments. It's worse in 2003 and earlier, the new Attachment data type is an improvement, but no Access database with multiple file attachments is going to stay small.

Denis

Upvote 0
Hi Denis,
thanks for your reply! However could you tell me what I could use instead as I would like to track previous invoices as they are not entered in the database as yet.
Thanks Albert

Upvote 0
You could still write the invoices as PDF and store them in another folder. That wouldn't be much different from what you do with Excel anyway, and you wouldn't have the bloat.

If you would like to open those PDFs from inside Access you could hyperlink to them.

Denis

Upvote 0
for the folder you mean somewhere on the computer and then hyperlink them yes?
Never used hyperlinks for that matte but I am sure I will work it out :)
Thanks
Albert

Upvote 0
In my Access Accounting system and other Access Applications I link multiple documents to a record. I do this by storing the path to the fie4 in as text. I do not us the hyperlink data type for several reason.

Here are a couple example I have created:

Document Links

Document Links 2
***** Because it doesn't use the hyperlink data type, this new version stores the path in a way that allows the folder to be easily moved.

Upvote 0
Hi again,
Thank you for your reply to this thread! I looked at those files with great interest.
But unfortunatelly I can not quite work it out how I implement to my application.

1. Do I need to create those three tables as well and if I do how should that be linked to my invoice table?
2. I assume that I need both modules and copy it into mine?
3. What is the difference of the two files you provided besides the file path on top of the form.

Sorry for not quite understanding it but I rather ask before I die stupid :)

Many thanks
Albert

Upvote 0
Hi again,
Thank you for your reply to this thread! I looked at those files with great interest.
But unfortunatelly I can not quite work it out how I implement to my application.

1. Do I need to create those three tables as well and if I do how should that be linked to my invoice table?
2. I assume that I need both modules and copy it into mine?
3. What is the difference of the two files you provided besides the file path on top of the form.

Sorry for not quite understanding it but I rather ask before I die stupid :)

Many thanks
Albert

Albert,

The only difference between the two example is that the second way show how to use a relative path.

You are correct that you need to import the two modules into your database.

This example was created by stripping the parts out of one of my applications. I create an additional table that is used to link records to a document records. This allow me to link the same document to multiple records also in multiple tables. To the user it appears that there are separate document tables related to each parent table.

You can use the tables in my example or create your own. It is your choice. You just need to make sure you come up with a way to relate the tables to the desired table/record using he primary key..

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojomen56

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back