drag1c

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
  2. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I am using table with multiple columns, but for this operation query needs just two columns + one custom column named Sequence with formula.

For example, I have columns [Order] and [Workcenter].
Formula should look like this:
=IF(row2.Order<>row1.Order,1,IF(row2.Order&row2.Workcenter<>row1.Order&row1.Workcenter,Sequence+1,Sequence))
=IF(H4<>H3,1,IF(H4&L4<>H3&L3,T3+1,T3)) -> This is presentation how it would look like in Excel.
1699887476694.png

But I want to get rid of excel file and to work with database. Right now I work with all data in Access and just because of this step I have to manually copy data into excel to calculate via formula :)

Does anyone have idea how it would work?

Attachments

• 1699887343565.png
    1699887343565.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 5

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
It won't work in Access.
In Access and any other DATAbase it's all about DATA. In Excel you can refer to the previous row. In Access you cannot do that. You need data to know the order of the row/records. So you need something like a date/time or entry number to determine the order of the rows.

Upvote 0
In Excel you can refer to the previous row. In Access you cannot do that.
Not sure I agree with that. One way to refer to other rows within data.
Whether or not it can be accomplished for this particular issue I don't know. For one thing, showing 2 fields of data doesn't provide much in the way of insight to the data. There would have to be something that provides a usable order.

Upvote 0
Not sure I agree with that. One way to refer to other rows within data.
Whether or not it can be accomplished for this particular issue I don't know. For one thing, showing 2 fields of data doesn't provide much in the way of insight to the data. There would have to be something that provides a usable order.
I can provide all columns, but I think they are not necessary for this calculation.

I think there should be used "IIF" through query, but question is how to call it for a row?

Here are all columns:

1699948101086.png

So, for this calculation is needed only Order and Workcenter.

Upvote 0
Looking at your table again I am not sure all those that should be in one table. Most times when you switch from Excel to Access you cannot move a table one to one to Access. Proper Access tables are normalized and I doubt that when you apply the normalization rules, you would end up with one table. Sort that out before you move on.

On second thoughts I also doubt that you should store the sequence at all. In fact it is derived data and it is preferable not to store that kind of data. What would you do if you have sequence numbers 1, 2 and 3 with a order/workcenter and you delete the sequence 2 entry? Or when you find out you entered the wrong workcenter for sequence 2 and change it?

So plenty to think of in response to a seemingly simple question ;)

Upvote 0
I think there should be used "IIF" through query, but question is how to call it for a row?
A function in a query is applied to every record that the query returns.
If that is what all of your tables look like, then you're always going to struggle. You haven't said (or I missed) what the sequence field is for. Perhaps if your tables were properly normalized and indexed you would not need that at all. Having an autonumber primary key might be all that you need to get some sort of order while using query criteria.

Upvote 0
What you could do is create a query that identifies all unique combinations of [order] and [workcenter].

The resulting list can be copied into a table that has a autonumber column. This autonumber column would be your sequence.

Then, using a second query, you can cross reference the [order] and [workcenter] data to add the sequence to every row.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back