Fill Down With Merged Cells

bluescreamsblack

I have Column AH which has every two rows merged (AH10:AH111,AH12:AH13) etc. In column AQ I have an equation that I want to be able to fill down that references column AH. My issue is that the first cell in Column AQ references the merged cell, but the second references only half the merged cell? and returns 0.

AH10:AH11 = 50
AH12:AH13 = 75

AQ10 = AH10:AH11 and returns 50
Drag down equation:
AQ11 = AH11 and returns 0
AQ12 = AH12:AH13 and returns 75
AQ13 = AH13 and returns 0

I realize that I can manually change the first second row, then drag down the top two cells in Column AQ and it will work, however, this is the only location where simply filling down will be different and in the future, if I forgot, or someone else is using my sheet this may be missed.

Is there a way to ensure that filling down will always capture the entire merged cell? I have encountered this problem many times before and always worked around it, but curious if there is a better way.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
I hate to say this, because I'm sure it's easier said than done...but yea, there's a way...don't use merged cells. They're a PITA.

Just curious, if you have 2 rows x 1 column merged, why didn't you just make the row taller?

I'm sorry I'm not more help, that's why a lot of people strongly avoid (I've seen the term "plague" used before) merged cells.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back