Filling (Across) referencing Excel table without re-typing: is this possible?

rodwhiteley

Hey,
I have a table with 44 columns and a couple of thousand rows I have to do a bunch of array formulae on to calculate standard deviations, median, min, max, IQR, count, count >0, and a few other things.
The summary tables (for the 44 columns) each have 10 bins that I will copy the formula down (being the deciles (0 to 9) for each of these values).

All this is fine, except copying to the right copies with the table nomenclature intact, so instead of the formula filling to the right with the ranges, I have a replication of the table nomenclature. ie TableName[column1] when you copy-Right stays TableName[column1] rather then becoming TableName[Column2]
for example, one cell's column which will fill down fine reads:
={STDEV(IF(DailyAssessmentData[Decile]=$B15,DailyAssessmentData[AveragePain]))}
When I fill that right in the final range the table nomenclature ([AveragePain]) copies to the adjacent column, and I have to go and manually change this value before filling down the column. This is tedious for the 44 rows, and 12 tables.
One solution would be to change the range from table nomenclature to cell referencing (in this case [AveragePain] is F$2:F$2146) however for error checking and later readability/verification purposes I really like having the table column names in the formulae.

Is it possible to write a formula referencing a table, using the table nomenclature, that will fill across? Perhaps can I use some sort of TEXT function to reference the column header and place this within the formula?

Thanks for any help,
Rod

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
All this is fine, except copying to the right copies with the table nomenclature intact, so instead of the formula filling to the right with the ranges, I have a replication of the table nomenclature. ie TableName[column1] when you copy-Right stays TableName[column1] rather then becoming TableName[Column2]

Hi Rod

That is right if you copy it, but if you instead drag it to the right you'll see that it becomes TableName[Column2].

So write the formulas and then drag them to the right.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back