Filter a table based on selection in a cell outside the table

Keith_Excel

I can find plenty of solutions to this problem for data that isn't stored in a table but nothing for table filters.

I'm creating a table for a Sales Forecast which stretches across over 200 columns. The reason for this width is due to all the various comparisons that can be done by customer line, such as Prior Year, Current Year Plan, Outlook etc each with a 2 columns per month one for sales value & one for volume, so this is 24 columns per analysis type. Plus there are other columns for customer grouping, product line, account manager, site etc.

To try and stop having to scroll accross so many rows I have added two columns close to the left hand side of the spreadsheet that sum the current forecast for a selected period, eg whole year, month, qtr and compares against the selected analysis type (plan, prior year) for the same period.

Want I want to be able to offer the people completing this spreadsheet is the option to filter the data without having to scroll accross the spreadsheet to find the correct column. So in cells B1:B4 I've put in a selection box based on validated cell values for the four most commonly filtered columns, Account Manager, Customer Group, Product Line, & Site, each of which relate to a column in the table.

Is it possible to select account manager "John Smith" in cell B1 then have this apply to the column F2_Forecast[Account Manager] and the same for the other criteria if selected?

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AGreen17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back