FILTER Function

jianh

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, currently struggling with counting number of days based on dates taking data from a FILTER generated table:

This is the Root Data tab:
Root Data Tab.jpg

This Root tab is the root data tab showing vendor documents and their Revision Dates, Planned Submission Dates as well as Actual Submission Dates.

And this is Report tab:
Report Tab.jpg

Now what I need to do is to calculate and display on both cell G4 and H4, on these criteria:
1. On G4 count and display the number of days 10 working days after either Revision Date or Actual Submission Date, with Actual Submission Date taking precedence. This means only if Actual Submission Date is empty, then count using Revision Date. And subsequently on G5, G6, G7 and so on.

2. On H4 count and display the number of days between Planned Submission Date and today's date, and leave cell empty if Planned Submission Date is empty. And H5, H6, H7 and so on.

3. If both Revision Dates and Actual Submission Dates are empty, this document has not been received by vendor. Then both G4 and H4 should display "N/A".

In Report tab, I have utilised FILTER function to only display vendor packages documents based on dropdown list on cell J3. And this is based on range A4:F17, including A4:A17 in Root tab.

On F4 count in Report tab, my formula is:
=IFS(
OR(AND(D4="",F4=""),C4<>"Under Review"),"N/A",
F4<>"",NETWORKDAYS.INTL(J4+10,TODAY(),"0000011"),
D4<>"",NETWORKDAYS.INTL(F4+10,TODAY(),"0000011"))

On G4 count, my formula is:
=IFS(
C4="","",
OR(D4<>"",F4<>""),"N/A",
AND(D4="",F4=""),NETWORKDAYS.INTL(E4,TODAY(),"0000011"))

But right now everything is showing "N/A" no matter the circumstance. Unsure where I've done wrongly. I suspect it's the FILTER but seeking some help here while pulling my hair out again.

Also, Report tab C5 shows 0 instead of being empty, how do I let it be empty instead of showing 0?

Thank you so much.

Oh I must apologise for not being able to upload the mini sheet, using work laptop I can't install the browser plug-in. Cheers.

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
The first formula looks like it should work fine, although some of the cell references look a bit wild (J4 is used in the formula but is outside of the data range in the sheet).

Perhaps it should be
Excel Formula:
=IF(OR(AND(D4="",F4=""),C4<>"Under Review"),"N/A",IF(F4<>"",NETWORKDAYS.INTL(J4+10,TODAY(),"0000011"),NETWORKDAYS.INTL(F4+10,TODAY(),"0000011")))
For the second one, it looks like you made a mess of your <>"" and ="" testing, see if this works there.
Excel Formula:
=IF(C4="","",IF(AND(D4="",F4=""),"N/A",NETWORKDAYS.INTL(E4,TODAY(),"0000011")))
Also, Report tab C5 shows 0 instead of being empty, how do I let it be empty instead of showing 0?
You could try using conditional formatting to hide the 0 values, it would not be possible to do it as part of the filter formula with the data that you are working with.

Upvote 0
If you have the LET function, you can use this to get rid of the 0s
Excel Formula:
=LET(f,FILTER(Root!A1:F17,(Root!A1:A17=J3)+(J3="")),IF(ISBLANK(f),"",f))

Upvote 0
The first formula looks like it should work fine, although some of the cell references look a bit wild (J4 is used in the formula but is outside of the data range in the sheet).

Perhaps it should be
Excel Formula:
=IF(OR(AND(D4="",F4=""),C4<>"Under Review"),"N/A",IF(F4<>"",NETWORKDAYS.INTL(J4+10,TODAY(),"0000011"),NETWORKDAYS.INTL(F4+10,TODAY(),"0000011")))
For the second one, it looks like you made a mess of your <>"" and ="" testing, see if this works there.
Excel Formula:

You could try using conditional formatting to hide the 0 values, it would not be possible to do it as part of the filter formula with the data that you are working with.

Oh that is a mistake. That J4 in the formula should instead be F4. Apologies.
Thanks for the reply i'll give it a try, I appreciate it.

Upvote 0
If you have the LET function, you can use this to get rid of the 0s
Excel Formula:
=LET(f,FILTER(Root!A1:F17,(Root!A1:A17=J3)+(J3="")),IF(ISBLANK(f),"",f))
Thanks I'll give it a try in a bit see if it works or not.

Upvote 0

Perhaps it should be
Excel Formula:
Excel Formula:

Hi I evaluated my own formula and yours as well.

On the first formula:
Both mine and yours count the number of days only if Actual Submission Date cell (F4) has a date. Cell shows random 5-digit number (31799 in the case of vendor documents J-53001-05 and L-55004-01). Unsure why myself.

Other circumstances are fine they show the correct number of working days after I manually calculated on a physical table calendar just to double check.

On the second formula:
I would actually like OR(D4<>"",F4<>""),"N/A" to remain as there are documents that vendors have submitted and their submission dates will be recorded, where the circumstances within are there'll always be Revision Dates (D4), but some Actual Submission Dates (F4) are empty. So I structured it in such a way that if either cells D4 or D4 aren't empty, just show "N/A" and don't calculate number of days overdue on submission because vendor has submitted this document.

On the contrary, if none of the dates on D4 or F4 are available, then calculate the number of days overdue since between Planned Submission Date (cell E4) and today's date to show how many working days are overdue.

Now when Root tabs show empty cells on dates, the FILTER shows 00-Jan-1900 on Report tab. No idea how I could remove this. Only way I could figure out is to uncheck "Show zero in cells that have zero values" in Option menu within Excel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Now when Root tabs show empty cells on dates, the FILTER shows 00-Jan-1900 on Report tab. No idea how I could remove this. Only way I could figure out is to uncheck "Show zero in cells that have zero values" in Option menu within Excel.
Have you tried using @Fluff's suggestion for that?

For the first formula problem, I can't do anything without seeing the report data that it is associated with.

For the second, I had misread some of the criteria. I'll have another look at it a bit later but think your original should work.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cyko

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back