Find all cells in "A:A that contain "B$1$" and list all values starting in " B$2$"

dwrgt3

I have a list, in Column A, of 900 customer codes. Examples are AFP, AU3, NKD, YM2, JWW etc... They could be anything, but are always either 2 or 3 characters.

In Column B and Column C I have those codes broken down into the "First two characters"(column B) and then the "Last two characters"(Column C)

I am creating a list of exceptions so to speak. I need to find all the codes in Columa that contain the value in "B1". Then take all of the values that match

A B C

So the first row looks like this: ABN AB BN

I need to create a list stating in Column D that would show all the codes in Column A that contain "AB" and then "BN" and list them in ABN's row. I need to do this for each of 900 codes, so in the end each code has a list next to it of all the other codes that have partial matches within them,

I have been messing with this for weeks. I have been manually using Filters, which is working, but it is very time consuming. and then i also have to copy, transpose, paste, then mark all the "BN's" as complete. Its insane.

I would love a macro to do this, or a formula. I'm not asking for you to do the work for me, simply point me in the right direction. But if you have something built that does this i will gladly take it and modify it to my needs, but any help would be greatly appreciated it. I am so lost...Thank you!

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Assuming your list starts at cell A2, it sounds like you are asking for these formulas...

B2: =LEFT(A2,2)

C2: =RIGHT(A2,2)

Upvote 0
Assuming your list starts at cell A2, it sounds like you are asking for these formulas...

B2: =LEFT(A2,2)

C2: =RIGHT(A2,2)

Hi Rick,
This formula creates the first two and last two in different cells, which i have already done. I need something that will take GU and search column a for anything containing GU and place all of those results in GUS's row starting in column D. Does that make sense? I hope i have explained it correctly.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asp123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back