Find lowest value in range excluding 0

karini4

I have been trying to enter a formula to find the lowest value in a range, but I want to exclude 0's. I haven't been able to figure it out. Any suggestions?

I have found a work around..

My problem is that my formulas were in fact delivering numbers as text. My formula was:
=IF(B6=GA$4,R6,)

What I found is that by changing the formula to:
=IF(B6=GA$4,R6,)*1
viola,... I have numbers

Anyone see any drawbacks with this approach?
Thanks to everyone esp Aladin for your help!!

You are welcome.

Apparently R6 is a text-number...

=IF(B6=GA$4,R6+0,0)

That is: +0 is a bit better than *1.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
This is similar to all the above questions but I cannot seem to get the above formulas to work.

I am trying to find the three smallest values in a range. The normal formula i use is:

= Small(List!V5:V117,1)
= Small(List!V5:V117,2)
= Small(List!V5:V117,3)

However I have noticed that some of my data is incomplete and I will be returned a value of -100% or -1. I want to exclude all changes of -100% and move to the next smallest value.

So I need the three smallest values that are not -100%. Can you Help?

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Assuming all the other values are larger than -100% then try ..

=SMALL(List!V5:V117,1+COUNTIF(List!V5:V117,-1))

.. and change the 1 to 2 or 3 as desired.

Upvote 0
Very Nice!

So you counted how many times -1 occured then added one, that is brilliant, and much simpilar then creating a VBA function

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I have a more interesting dilemma.

Step one would be find find the last instance in a row of 5 that is a negative number
Step two would be to find the first instance in a row of 5 that is a positive number

Upvote 0
I have a more interesting dilemma.

Step one would be find find the last instance in a row of 5 that is a negative number
Step two would be to find the first instance in a row of 5 that is a positive number

Would you explain what you mean by way of an appropriate example involving both cases?

Upvote 0
This is in regard to setting up a sheet where I need to know the BE and Payback.

Yearly NPV Cash Flow($75,000)$44,643$39,860$35,589$31,776$28,371
Overall NPV Cash Flow($75,000)($30,357)$9,503$45,092$76,867$105,239

<colgroup><col><col><col><col span="4"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Normally, I would look for the last instance of a neg figure in a row, in this example, (30,357) deduct 39,860 from 9,503 and so on. To clean the sheet up, I was looking for a function(s) to do this automatically.

thank you

Upvote 0
This is in regard to setting up a sheet where I need to know the BE and Payback.

Yearly NPV Cash Flow
($75,000)
$44,643
$39,860
$35,589
$31,776
$28,371
Overall NPV Cash Flow
($75,000)
($30,357)
$9,503
$45,092
$76,867
$105,239

<tbody>
</tbody>

Normally, I would look for the last instance of a neg figure in a row, in this example, (30,357) deduct 39,860 from 9,503 and so on. To clean the sheet up, I was looking for a function(s) to do this automatically.

thank you

The last negative number:

=LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307, 1/(B2:G2 < 0), B2:G2)

Upvote 0
I have a very similar question. I have a chart looking at some data and I want to find the lowest point in the chart. I am using: =MIN(IF(A1:BI1,A1:BI1)).

The problem is that in that data range I have values that are = to NA(). This is so the chart does not input those blank values as 0. However my Min function returns NA. Is there a way I can get the MIN function to ignore the cells that are valued as NA?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I have a very similar question. I have a chart looking at some data and I want to find the lowest point in the chart. I am using: =MIN(IF(A1:BI1,A1:BI1)).

The problem is that in that data range I have values that are = to NA(). This is so the chart does not input those blank values as 0. However my Min function returns NA. Is there a way I can get the MIN function to ignore the cells that are valued as NA?

Thanks!

Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=MIN(IF(ISNUMBER(A1:BI1),IF(A1:BI1,A1:BI1)))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fcarfagna

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back