find text and color cell and sum cell number

broholm

Hi All

I am making my own budget and have trouble doing the following:

From my online bank I export all my account activities one month at a time to their own sheet: January, Febuary, March etc.

I have one sheet i call "calculation" which have the months as columns and expenses posts as rows. As an example I have a post called "car insurance". In the cell where this row hits the January column I have the following function:

=SUMIF(January!F:F;"*123456789*";January!D:D)

This gives me the sum of column D when a text in column F matches an account activity with a withdrawel ID of "123456789"

So far so good. What I would like the function to do is:

=SUMIF(January!F:F;"*123456789*";January!D:D) AND In case you find a text matching "123456789" Color that cell on sheet January green.

This way I can check the sheet January and see what rows Excel automatically has summed to my "calculation" sheet.

I hope this makes sense. Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance

Broholm.

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Hi everyone. Me again.

I have tried posting this question on two other expert boards and noone has answered. Is this because the question is too complex? Am I trying to make Excel do something it was not intended to do? Hope someone can help?

Upvote 0
It is a little complex to understand, but I think what you are saying is, on the individual months sheets, you want to color a cell green if it's been included on your Calculation sheet. My first thought would be conditional formatting - but then I wondered why you want to color the cells? And why do you have * around the withdrawal IDs? Are you wanting to verify there are no IDs missed? If so - then this Conditional Format formula would work (assume that the first ID I"m checking is A1):
=A1 = VLOOKUP(A1,mylist,1,FALSE)
mylist is the list of IDs I'm comparing to. Since this list is on your Calculation sheet, you'll have to setup a range name.
Basically, I'm saying if the cell I"m in matches the cell I"m looking for, then color the cell

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayEggleton

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back