Find the next dynamic column letter

Ivan Howard

Good morning all,

Please could someone help me?

I'm using Excel 2016. I have a string variable that I manually populate with a column address letter, e.g. "S". Without accessing any worksheets, and without writing a massive If...ElseIf statement, I need some VBA that will allow me to get the next column letter. This could be anywhere in the first 150+ columns. Because I can't use "Activecell", I can't use Activecell.Offset... .

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
What do you mean by "the next column"? How would the code determine which is the "next" column?

Upvote 0
Hi Fluff, thanks for assisting.

I would like to populate one variable with a column letter e.g. "S" and get VBA to work out that the next column is "T"... or populate the variable with "BQ" and get VBA to work out that the next column is "BR". I have a set of macros that need to run on about 30 columns, but the start column is not always known. What I wanted to be able to do is, using an input box, get the user to insert the start column letter and then the macro would do the rest. I could rewrite the macros to make use of Activecell.Offset... but that would mean rewriting a lot of code. I just wondered if there was an easy way to determine the next column letter after the start one is given.

I was given the following function, but this uses numbers to work out the letter... my input is not numbers but letters. I hope this makes sense.

VBA Code:
Public Function GetColumnLetter(ColumnNumber) As String

If ColumnNumber <= 26 Then
        ' Columns A-Z
        GetColumnLetter = Chr(ColumnNumber + 64)
    Else
        GetColumnLetter = Chr(Int((ColumnNumber - 1) / 26) + 64) & Chr(((ColumnNumber - 1) Mod 26) + 65)
    End If

End Function

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Ok, you can do that like
VBA Code:
   Dim Col As String

Col = "BR"
   MsgBox Split(Cells(1, Col).Offset(, 1).Address, "$")(1)

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back