Finding matching numbers in a column that equal another single # in a cel

dbuck

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
My example. I have a # in a cell, ex. 5,124. The I have another column, the amount of numbers in this column can change but won't exceed, 20 numbers.
ex: 2001, 582, 304, 55, etc. I want Excel to tell me what #'s in my list equal the # in my cell. Could be 1 of the #'s or many of the numbers. It can just be an X that shows up next to it.

Any thoughts?

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
do you want a count of the matches? or do you want the text string in the cell changed?
Please use the xl2bb add in (link below) to post a sample of your worksheet.
and welcome to the forum.

Upvote 0
here are some ways to address your question:
Mr Excel 8.xlsm
ABCDEF
2Helper Column:FIND:19
337 COUNT:2
436 CONDITIONAL FORMAT FORMULA:FALSE
819Match
1519Match
Sheet9
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F3F3=COUNTIF($A$3:$A$20,F2)
F4F4=A3=$F$2
B3:B20B3=IF(A3=$F$2,"Match","")
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
A3:B20Expression=A3=$F$2textNO

Upvote 0
I don't want matching #'s. I want to know what #'s in a list add up to another value given in a different cell. An X or a word can be put in Column B.
1677089359575.png

Upvote 0
do you want a count of the matches? or do you want the text string in the cell changed?
Please use the xl2bb add in (link below) to post a sample of your worksheet.
and welcome to the forum.
No, I want to know what #'s in a particular list, add up and equal and single # in a different cell.
1677089359575-png.85966

Upvote 0
please use the xl2bb add in then. I asked for clarification of what you want. Your last statement just restates what you already have said which does not further clarify.

Images are not very useful in terms of calculations. In the image you posted, do the amounts in the first column sum to the amount in the target cell? IF not.. How do you manually figure out which numbers add up?

If you're trying to figure out which of the first column values are needed to get the target value you're asking for many pieces of a puzzle. I'm sure it can be done with a program using LAMBDA or even VBA, but my skills don't reach into that realm. Hopefully, someone else will make an attempt.

Upvote 0
please use the xl2bb add in then. I asked for clarification of what you want. Your last statement just restates what you already have said which does not further clarify.

Images are not very useful in terms of calculations. In the image you posted, do the amounts in the first column sum to the amount in the target cell? IF not.. How do you manually figure out which numbers add up?

If you're trying to figure out which of the first column values are needed to get the target value you're asking for many pieces of a puzzle. I'm sure it can be done with a program using LAMBDA or even VBA, but my skills don't reach into that realm. Hopefully, someone else will make an attempt.
I'm trying to figure out what #'s in the first column will add up to the # in the single cell. Could be 2 of them, could be 5 of them, could be 1 of them. Right now, I guess, trial and error. That's my problem, I spend too much time figuring it out. So I'm looking for an option to make it easier. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Okay, that is beyond my skill. A LAMBDA function with recursion may get the answer for you. I think there are 16*15*14*13*12*11...*1 possible combinations.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smckenzie2016

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back