Forecasting Monthly Sales using 5 years previous data and accounting for holidays.

dversloot1

Board Regular
Hello all,

I hope some of you can relate to this pickle I am in at the moment. I'm currently working on a forecasting tool in Excel where I would like to provide a spread of a monthly forecast across the weeks in the month; weekly forecast. On top of this, I would like to account for holidays which would occur in the particular month being forecast.
Each week of the month typically has a different sell through rate as does each day during the week. If holidays always fell on the same day of the week every month, this would be a little easier but because holidays can happen any day of the week each year, forecasting is more challenging.

I've managed to pull full fiscal weeks' sales for a particular month for the past 5 years. ie: Dec 2012 began on a Saturday therefore I pulled sales from the previous sunday (Nov 25th) to Jan 5th, 2013; Fiscal week 53's last date. I did this because I assumed full weeks data would be easier to work with rather than partial weeks.

Can anybody provide me with some guidance or input as to what I should do next in this exercise? I know this really isn't a typical excel topic but thought it could be intriguing to users of this forum.

Example of data:
%'sMonTueWedThuFriTotal
Wk 1 3.98%4.63%4.72%4.08%4.42%21.83%
Wk 2 4.75%4.57%6.18%4.62%4.53%24.65%
Wk 3 5.39%5.40%5.32%3.77%4.91%24.77%
Wk 4 3.97%4.63%2.94%3.49%2.37%17.39%
Wk 5 2.42%2.42%2.28%2.68%1.56%11.36%

<colgroup><col><col><col span="5"><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Percentages represent daily sales as a percentage of the total monthly sales.

I can provide more information if needed.

Dan

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mytux

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back