Formating range is causing phantom rows

SakiSam

I have a workbook with a lot of subroutines that I've authored. I am having an issue with one of my subs taking way too long.

For this investigation I used the Task Manager to track down the problem. When I start the sub(routine), Excel is using 100MB of memory, when it's finished Excel is using 400+MB of memory. Running each line of the sub I find that this explosion of memory usage is occurring with the code I have to un-bold the subtotals. I've re-written and reordered the commands several times and the issue is definitely with this line.

After this point phantom rows are entered from the last used row to the bottom of the worksheet. Please review and advise what I am missing.

For a little
Code:
Sub FormatChart()

'Everything
Dim Rng As Range
Set Rng = Sheets(nPage).Range(Cells(fstRow, fstcol).Address, Cells(Cells(fstRow, TagTypCol).End(xlDown).Row, lstcol).Address)
    Rng.NumberFormat = "_(* #,##0_);_(* (#,##0);_(* "" - ""??_);_(@_)": Rng.Font.Bold = False: Rng.Font.Name = "Arial": Rng.Font.Size = 11: Rng.HorizontalAlignment = xlGeneral
'everything with header

Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Set Rng = Sheets(nPage).Range(Cells(fstRow - 1, fstcol).Address, Cells(Cells(fstRow, TagTypCol).End(xlDown).Row, lstcol).Address)
    Rng.Subtotal GroupBy:=3, Function:=xlSum, TotalList:=Array(4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, _
        17, 18, 19, 20, 21), Replace:=True, PageBreaks:=False, SummaryBelowData:=True

ActiveSheet.Outline.ShowLevels RowLevels:=2

'Subtotals
Set Rng = Sheets(nPage).Range(Cells(fstRow, fstcol).Address, Cells(Cells(fstRow, TagTypCol).End(xlDown).Row, lstcol).Address).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible)
    Rng.Borders(xlDiagonalDown).LineStyle = xlNone: Rng.Borders(xlDiagonalUp).LineStyle = xlNone
    Subtotal1 Rng, xlEdgeLeft
    Subtotal1 Rng, xlEdgeTop
    Subtotal1 Rng, xlEdgeBottom
    Subtotal1 Rng, xlEdgeRight
    Subtotal1 Rng, xlInsideHorizontal
    Subtotal1 Rng, xlInsideVertical
    With Rng.Interior
        .Pattern = xlSolid
        .PatternColorIndex = xlAutomatic
        .ThemeColor = xlThemeColorDark1
        .TintAndShade = -4.99893185216834E-02
        .PatternTintAndShade = 0
    End With

'Subtotaled Tag Type headers
Set Rng = Sheets(nPage).Range(Cells(fstRow - 1, fstcol).Address & ":" & Cells(Cells(fstRow, TagTypCol).End(xlDown).Row - 1, TagTypCol).Address & "," & _
                             Cells(Cells(fstRow, TagTypCol).End(xlDown).Row, fstcol).Address & ":" & Cells(Cells(fstRow, TagTypCol).End(xlDown).Row, TagTypCol).Address).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible)
    Rng.HorizontalAlignment = xlCenter: Rng.Merge True
'Subtotaled Tag Type headers without Bottom Grand Total
Set Rng = Sheets(nPage).Range(Cells(fstRow - 1, fstcol).Address, Cells(Cells(fstRow, TagTypCol).End(xlDown).Row - 1, lstcol).Address).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible)

With Rng.Font
        .Bold = False  [B]''''<------issue point[/B]
        .Size = 12
        .Name = "Arial"
    End With
    Rng.Replace " Total", "", xlPart

'Bottom Grand Total
Set Rng = Sheets(nPage).Range(Cells(Cells(fstRow, 1).End(xlDown).Row, fstcol).Address, Cells(Cells(fstRow, 1).End(xlDown).Row, lstcol).Address)
'Set rng = Sheets(nPage).Range("A508:U508")
    Rng.Interior.TintAndShade = 0: Rng.Replace "Grand ", "", xlPart: Rng.Font.Bold = False: Rng.Font.Size = 14
    Subtotal2 Rng, xlEdgeLeft
    Subtotal2 Rng, xlEdgeTop
    Subtotal2 Rng, xlEdgeBottom
    Subtotal2 Rng, xlEdgeRight

'Everything's borders
Set Rng = Sheets(nPage).Range(Cells(fstRow, fstcol).Address, Cells(Cells(fstRow, fstcol).End(xlDown).Row, lstcol).Address)
    Subtotal2 Rng, xlEdgeTop

'TagType Column
Set Rng = Sheets(nPage).Range(Cells(fstRow, fstcol).Address, Cells(Cells(fstRow, fstcol).End(xlDown).Row, TagTypCol).Address)

'Present Budgeted Total
Set Rng = Sheets(nPage).Range(Cells(fstRow, cntBcol).Address, Cells(Cells(fstRow, fstcol).End(xlDown).Row, cntBcol).Address)
    Rng.Interior.TintAndShade = -4.99893185216834E-02

'Present Non-Budgeted Total
Set Rng = Sheets(nPage).Range(Cells(fstRow, 1 + cntBcol + cntNCol).Address, Cells(Cells(fstRow, fstcol).End(xlDown).Row, 1 + cntBcol + cntNCol).Address)
    Rng.Interior.TintAndShade = -4.99893185216834E-02

'Present Month Total
Set Rng = Sheets(nPage).Range(Cells(Cells(fstRow, fstcol).End(xlDown).Row, lstcol).Address)
    Rng.Interior.TintAndShade = -0.149998474074526: Rng.Font.Size = 18
    Cells(6, 3).Value = "=" & Rng.Address(RowAbsolute:=False, ColumnAbsolute:=False)

Columns("D:E").Group: Columns("G:S").Group
Set Rng = Nothing

End Sub

Thank you

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back