Formatting a cell's Background color based on another cells background color

SoccerCoach

First off, I want to thank anyone who reads this post and is able to help me in any way. I have a feeling that what I am about to ask is not able to be done, but I hope someone has some ideas. Now, on to my question.

I have a spreadsheet that I am using to track wins and losses for a soccer league. It has a list of teams down the first column (the names are abbreviated) and across from each team is the abbreviations for the teams that they play. So it looks something like this:

AI App Arc Brw
APP AI Arc Brw
Arc AI App Brw
Brw AI App Arc

What I would like to do is, if I change the background color of one teams game to Blue (to equal a win), I would like it to automatically change the other teams game to red (to equal a loss). Is that possible in any way?

I have tried conditional formatting, but can't seem to grasp what the formula would be. I consider myself relatively handy at Excel, but in no way am I an expert. I have also searched the internet high and wide trying to get some sort of an idea of what this formula should be.

Thanks in advance,
SoccerCoach.

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
The only way you could do color for color is with a macro.

If you were to add a bit of data--such as a "w" under the winning team--you could use conditional formatting to check for that and color accordingly.

Upvote 0
Can you give me some sort of idea on what that macro would look like? Or point me in the direction where I might be able to make someone else's macro work for me?

Upvote 0
How do you know which opponent to color? So, if you change the color in Column A to blue for a team, which opponent should change red?
lenze

Upvote 0
Now.. that is something I did not think about.

At first thought I would say that it would have to pick the first instance of that abbreviation in the row. However, the actual sheet that I have is much larger than the example that I gave and there are teams that play each other 2, 3 or 4 times in a season. So the formula or macro would have to skip a cell that has a background already, and pick the next instance of that cell.

Initially I thought I could use a vlookup command to match the first teams abbreviation with the same abbreviation in the opposing teams row, when it found that abbreviation in the opposing teams row, I would then have it reference the initial cell to check its background color and then fill the opposing teams cell with the opposite color... But its not looking like it would be that easy.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back