Formula Question: Return a Value if a Cell Contains a Letter within a Text String

Studk22

Hi,

I have a cells drawing information from a table. In this table I have model numbers to depict products in one column. In another column I have sales totals for those model numbers. I would like to sum the sales for those model numbers if the model number contains an S.

Conveniently, these model numbers will always have the letter S at the end of the text string so I have been using this formula to try to sum the sales:

=SUMIFS(Sheet1!AQ10:AQ29991,(Right(Sheet1!D10:D29991,1)),"S")

However on future formulas I will need to sum sales based on other possible letters which will not always come last in the model number.

Even when I tried to do a trial formula to figure out the answer the following would not work:

A1 = 22

=IF(RIGHT(A1,1)=2,"Yes","No")

This returned the answer "No" which is incorrect.

Ideas?

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
That would be

=IF(RIGHT(A1,1)="2","Yes","No")

You could use

=ISNUMBER(FIND("A",A1))

to check for an A.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I have a cells drawing information from a table. In this table I have model numbers to depict products in one column. In another column I have sales totals for those model numbers. I would like to sum the sales for those model numbers if the model number contains an S.

Conveniently, these model numbers will always have the letter S at the end of the text string so I have been using this formula to try to sum the sales:

=SUMIFS(Sheet1!AQ10:AQ29991,(Right(Sheet1!D10:D29991,1)),"S")

However on future formulas I will need to sum sales based on other possible letters which will not always come last in the model number.

Even when I tried to do a trial formula to figure out the answer the following would not work:

A1 = 22

=IF(RIGHT(A1,1)=2,"Yes","No")

This returned the answer "No" which is incorrect.

Ideas?

Shouldn't that formula (with SumIfs) run more like...

=SUMIF(Sheet1!D10:D29991,"*S",Sheet1!AQ10:AQ29991)

Upvote 0
Hi VoG,

Thank you for your help! I tried applying that formula to a sumif function and I can't seem to get it to work.

Lets say I have a table with 3 columns.

Column A = Product Names (Ambulance, Police Car, Firetruck, Mail Truck)

Column B = Product Model Numbers
(For Firetruck the model numbers are R69, R69F, R69S, R69FS, R79, R79F, R79S, R79FS, R89, R89F, R89S, R89FS, R99, R99F, R99S, R99FS)

Column C = Sales

I would like to sum the sales for all Firetrucks with the letter "S" in model number in which case I thought I could use the following formula:

=Sumif(C2:C100,A2:A100,="Firetruck",(ISNumber(Find("S",B2:B100))),="True")

I realize I could do a SumIf function in combination with the Or function and just put in all the model numbers but I have to do this for many more products with many more model numbers and if I could get a generic formula that I could copy and use over and over again by only changing the product name and the specific letter I'm looking for in the model number it would save me a great deal of time.

Thank you for your time VoG!

Upvote 0
Aladin,

That formula works, but what do I do if the letter (in this case "S") is not always the last letter in a text string in the cells I'm filtering?

What if the letter "S" sometimes is the last letter and sometimes the second to last letter?

Upvote 0
Aladin,

That formula works, but what do I do if the letter (in this case "S") is not always the last letter in a text string in the cells I'm filtering?

What if the letter "S" sometimes is the last letter and sometimes the second to last letter?

"*S*"

Upvote 0
Awesome, that's answers a lot of formulas that I needed.

Thanks Aladin!

By the way I love your movie!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back