Formula > Text > Formula

JerryGreen

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I am working on two sheets and I need help finishing a formula to text to formula function.

Sheet 1:
Cell H48 formula: =CONCAT(TEXTJOIN(",",TRUE,H2:H47),",""""",J46,)
Cell H48 output (Text):
IF(OR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Holiday",T4)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Cenex",T4)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Caseys",T4)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("✰",T4)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("✰",T4))),"Gas",IF(OR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Walmart",T4)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Dollar",T4)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("✰",T4)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("✰",T4)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("✰",T4))),"Groceries",IF(OR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Subway",T4)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Dairy",T4)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("✰",T4)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("✰",T4)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("✰",T4))),"Food & Drink","")))

Sheet 2: I need R3 to take the text from the H48 and output a changing formula. I can use T4 in sheet 2 to give me outputs such as Gas, Groceries, or Food & Drink. I understand I can fn 2, fn 9 to just paste the text as a formula. I want the formula to be mobile and changing as H48's output does, however, if possible. I have not been able to figure it out because of the "quotes" around the text function in the new formulas. My current attempt is =EvaluateString(CONCATENATE("=",Sheet1!H48)). The problem is it evaluates the entire string as a whole and not the separate if functions. I can get rid of the concatenate part too and add the = to cell H48 formula and output if anyone has ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Hi - I think people may be in a better position to help you if they can see what you're seeing. One way of doing that is my using the forum's xl2bb add-in - XL2BB - Excel Range to BBCode. It makes a huge difference.

More generally, I have a natural aversion to really long formulas because I'm easily lost. In those cases, I find it's best to break them down into smaller formulas, and use 'helper' cells (and even give those helper cells 'names') - I think your formula above would benefit from this because I can see the there is a lot nested somethings going on in there.

Finally, in case you haven't already come across it, one of my favourite tools when it comes to writing/making sense of formulas is Evaluate Formula:-
1643666895225.png

It will take you step-by-step through the formula evaluation process, showing how it gets to the final answer. I hope that helps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tungnmqn90

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back