Formula to indicate missing item in range based on multiple criteria

Excel Sheet Pro

Preface: Based on a list of names and task numbers associated with them, I'd like to create a (non-VBA) formula to find and return the task number MISSING from a task list for each name, as defined in the following steps. I have color-coded the ranges to make it simple to identify.

The range in YELLOW is the main list. It comprises of names and tasks assigned to those names.
In range in GREEN contains the unique task number list.
The first column in the BLUE range is the unique name list associated with the main list.
The second column in the BLUE range is where the formula will go in each cell, using the name in the first column as the relative reference.

bbbb.xlsx
ABCDEFG
1Name_ListTask_No_ListTask_NoNameMissing Task No.
2Jim11Jim4
3Susan12Susan3
4Bart13Bart2
5Jim24Steve1
6Susan2
7Steve2
8Jim3
9Bart3
10Steve3
11Susan4
12Bart4
13Jim4
Sheet1

What I would like to see is a formula that returns the MISSING task number associated with a name in the left column in the BLUE range. For instance, Jim is assigned to tasks 1, 2, and 3 in the Main list, but is not assigned 4. Therefore, 4 is the return I'm looking for. Each other name is associated with each of their missing task number.

There are several pre-conditions that should make the solution easier:

1. There could be at least 3 or more names.
2. There could be any number of tasks.
3. However, the tasks always start with 1 and increment by 1 until the last task. No text, and no skipped sequencing of numbers.
4. Each name will be associated with all task numbers EXCEPT for one missing task number. In other words, for every task listed in the Green Task_No range, each name will be assigned to every one of those tasks exactly one time, EXCEPT for the missing task no. There will never be a situaiton where a name is associated with every task number, nor a situation where a name has more than one missing task number. This process is verified already.

I have tried a whole slew of index, match, vlookup, and other formulas, and combinations of such formulas, both straight and array, but couldn't get it right. Currently, the formula is dependent on a grid located on a "helper sheet" but it seems to me that I can simplify this; I just can't get the right formula in place. In addition, no VBA can be used as it is a macro-free workbook. I have the latest version of Excel (Office 365 subscription) if that helps. Many thanks.

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
I made a mistake in the original chart. Cell A13 should contain the name "Steve". It is currently showing "Jim", which is incorrect. My apologies.

Upvote 0
This should do if pre-conditions #4 is infallible, though in the example Jim is associated with all tasks:
Book1
ABCDEFG
2Jim11Jim4
3Susan12Susan3
4Bart13Bart2
5Jim24Steve1
6Susan2
7Steve2
8Jim3
9Bart3
10Steve3
11Susan4
12Bart4
13Steve4
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G2:G5G2=MATCH(TRUE,ISERROR(MATCH($D$2:$D$5,IF($A$2:$A$13=F2,$B$2:$B$13),0)),0)

One minute late for the correction...

Upvote 0
Solution
This should do if pre-conditions #4 is infallible, though in the example Jim is associated with all tasks:
Book1
ABCDEFG
2Jim11Jim4
3Susan12Susan3
4Bart13Bart2
5Jim24Steve1
6Susan2
7Steve2
8Jim3
9Bart3
10Steve3
11Susan4
12Bart4
13Steve4
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G2:G5G2=MATCH(TRUE,ISERROR(MATCH($D$2:$D$5,IF($A$2:$A$13=F2,$B$2:$B$13),0)),0)

One minute late for the correction...
Spiffing! I didn't think of using Match twice without the IsError function in between. Good job!! (y)

Upvote 0
I have the latest version of Excel (Office 365 subscription) if that helps.
Please put that into your Account details (click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

With 365 you could also use a single MATCH like this.

21 10 03.xlsm
ABCDEFG
2Jim11Jim4
3Susan12Susan3
4Bart13Bart2
5Jim24Steve1
6Susan2
7Steve2
8Jim3
9Bart3
10Steve3
11Susan4
12Bart4
13Steve4
Missing
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G2:G5G2=MATCH(0,COUNTIFS(A$2:A$13,F2,B$2:B$13,D$2:D$5),0)

Upvote 0
Please put that into your Account details (click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

With 365 you could also use a single MATCH like this.

21 10 03.xlsm
ABCDEFG
2Jim11Jim4
3Susan12Susan3
4Bart13Bart2
5Jim24Steve1
6Susan2
7Steve2
8Jim3
9Bart3
10Steve3
11Susan4
12Bart4
13Steve4
Missing
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G2:G5G2=MATCH(0,COUNTIFS(A$2:A$13,F2,B$2:B$13,D$2:D$5),0)
Thanks for the heads up! Though to be fair, half of my work is done on Office 2003 on an old XP laptop for legacy maintenance of certain clients. So for the future, if I have a question that needs to be resolved on 2003 version I'll note it at the top of the post.

Upvote 0
So for the future, if I have a question that needs to be resolved on 2003 version I'll note it at the top of the post.
That would be a good idea, though for other questions that you might have it would be good to be able to quickly see what version you have so that helpers know what resources you have available. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back