Formula to insert a picture based on various cell values, w/out VBA, Macros, etc.

FlynHokie

Office Version
  1. 365
Likely a tough one here.

Simplifying a complex worksheet here. But basically:

A1 = Value
A2 = Value
A3 = Value
A4 = Value
A5 = Picture based on A1:A4 values.

Limitations: Pictures have to be referenced from within the excel Workbook. Not external to a referenced folder or website. I can not use VBA, Macros, or any other non-basic Excel functions due to insane limitations put on my machine that can not be bypassed.

Was hoping to use VLOOKUP or similar , with a table build referenceing every combination of values that would work for each picture, but the VLOOKUP referenced cell with inserted picture just returns a 0 value, not the image.

I can build the various 500+ combinations of worksheets that will be created by varying values of the critera cells to pull one of a 50+ images, however, I'd rather not have to do that, and would like to keep it automated.

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
In this example, I've kept things simple. But you should be able to adopt it for your purposes.

1) First, let's assume that we have the following set-up, where A2:B4 contains our lookup table. Also, cell D2 is where we'll specify the country of interst, and E2 is where the corresponding picture will be returned.

layout.jpg

2) Select cell B2, not the picture, but the cell itself. Then click on Copy on the Ribbon under the Home tab. Then select cell E2, then click on the Paste drop down arrow on the Ribbon under the Home tab, and then select Linked Picture.

paste.jpg

3) Then define the following name (Ribbon >> Formulas tab >> Defined Names group >>> Define Name)...

VBA Code:
Name:  MyPicture

Refers to:  =INDEX('Sheet1'!$B$2:$B$4,MATCH('Sheet1'!$D$2,'Sheet1'!$A$2:$A$4,0))

Click OK

name.jpg

4) Select the picture in cell E2, and then replace =$B$2 in the formula bar with =MyPicture, and press the ENTER key...

formula.jpg

Now, change the lookup value in D2, and the corresponding picture should be returned in E2.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• name.jpg
    name.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 1
Upvote 0
Here is one way if you are using 365.

1: Insert your pictures for the values as "Place in Cell" (Insert > Pictures - Place in Cell)

Let's say, your pictures are in B1:B4 & corresponding values are in A1:A4.

In C1, enter your value from A1:A4, then simply use XLOOKUP in D1.

=XLOOKUP(C1,A1:A4,B1:B4,"Not Found")

Upvote 0
Thanks All. Raj - PLace in cell isn't available in my version of Excel - even though it's 365.

Domenic - Your solution works! Thanks much. A few issues I'm workign through now - the image as are 2.7"h x 3.58"w. So cell sizes are that height / width.

The INDEX/MATCH works great! Thanks so much!

Key note - images have to be identical in size, otherwise you start to get partial or combined images pulledu p in the call-out cell.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sebas8956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back