Formula to make cell text bold based on other cell value?

lichldo

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
I have the following formula already in a cell - =IF('Project Estimate'!A4=0, "", 'Project Estimate'!A4)

It's working great by pulling data from another sheet. Some of this data will start with " - " before the text. Is there a way to add to the above formula, that if that cell its pulling from does NOT start with " - ", then make the cell Bold text?

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
You should just be able to use Conditional Formatting to do that.

So, if this value is going in cell B2, then you would place Conditional Formatting on the cell, with a Conditional Formatting formula like:
Excel Formula:
=LEFT(B2,1)<>"-"
and then choose the Bold text formatting option.

Upvote 0
You should just be able to use Conditional Formatting to do that.

So, if this value is going in cell B2, then you would place Conditional Formatting on the cell, with a Conditional Formatting formula like:
Excel Formula:
=LEFT(B2,1)<>"-"
and then choose the Bold text formatting option.

I think using Conditional Formatting is a better solution, thank you.

However that formula isn't working. I just need something that will put cells in bold that do not contain "-" within my selected range.

Upvote 0
I think using Conditional Formatting is a better solution, thank you.

However that formula isn't working. I just need something that will put cells in bold that do not contain "-" within my selected range.
What do you mean by "within my selected range"?
Aren't you just checking each cell, and bolding that particular cell if the condition is met (for that particular cell)?

Maybe it would be better if you could post an example of what this should look like, so we can see what you mean.

Upvote 0
What do you mean by "within my selected range"?
Aren't you just checking each cell, and bolding that particular cell if the condition is met (for that particular cell)?

Maybe it would be better if you could post an example of what this should look like, so we can see what you mean.
hmm yes I think I am not explaining it well. I've included an example column below. Essentially this data gets split out from another program, and I'd like the Phase and Stages to be bolded to make the data easier to follow. So everything that does NOT start with a " - " gets bolded

Phase
Stage 1
- Sample
Stage 2
- Sample
- Sample
- Sample
Stage 3
- Sample
Stage 4
- Sample
- Sample
Stage 5
- Sample
- Sample

Upvote 0
Is there a space in front of the "-"? I might have missed that in the original question.
If so, then we just need to account for it in the formula, i.e.
Excel Formula:
=LEFT(B2,3)<>" - "

Upvote 0
Is there a space in front of the "-"? I might have missed that in the original question.
If so, then we just need to account for it in the formula, i.e.
Excel Formula:
=LEFT(B2,3)<>" - "
I'm sorry but I'm not understanding this. Maybe I'm inputting it wrong, but that just bolds everything. As does the code in your first comment. I'm trying to apply this formatting rule to my entire sheet as multiple columns would have similar data as my example

Upvote 0
Please answer these two questions:
1. What column is this entry in (the one we are checking for the " - ")?
2. What range exactly are you trying to apply this to (tell me the exact address of the range)?

Upvote 0
Please answer these two questions:
1. What column is this entry in (the one we are checking for the " - ")?
2. What range exactly are you trying to apply this to (tell me the exact address of the range)?
The data with the " - " will be in columns A, D, G, J, M, P, S, V and Y

The range in EACH column would be rows 1:50

So ex. - A1:A50, D1:D50, etc

I hope that answers you question

Upvote 0
So, then do you only want to highlight the cell with the dash, or the whole row?
Is there any possibility of any entry in any other column (not listed) starting with " - "?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back