Formula to make cell text bold based on other cell value?

lichldo

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
I have the following formula already in a cell - =IF('Project Estimate'!A4=0, "", 'Project Estimate'!A4)

It's working great by pulling data from another sheet. Some of this data will start with " - " before the text. Is there a way to add to the above formula, that if that cell its pulling from does NOT start with " - ", then make the cell Bold text?

So, then do you only want to highlight the cell with the dash, or the whole row?
Is there any possibility of any entry in any other column (not listed) starting with " - "?
I want to bold the cells that do NOT have the " - "

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
I want to bold the cells that do NOT have the " - "
I understand that, but can you PLEASE answer the two questions I asked?

So, for the first one, let'say that cell A3 does NOT start with " - ".
Then do you just want A3 bolded, or the whole entire row 3?
If the whole entire row, what if A3 does NOT start with " - ", but D3 does?
Then who wins that conflict?

For my second question, you said you want to look at columns A, D, G, J, M, P, S, V and Y.
Is there any possibility that the other columns not included in that list (i.e. columns B, C, E, F, ...) start with " - "?
It would make it MUCH easier if they do not. Then we do not need to worry about checking each column separately, which could make for a very long messy formula.

Upvote 0
I have the following formula already in a cell - =IF('Project Estimate'!A4=0, "", 'Project Estimate'!A4)

It's working great by pulling data from another sheet. Some of this data will start with " - " before the text. Is there a way to add to the above formula, that if that cell its pulling from does NOT start with " - ", then make the cell Bold text?

I've solved this by making a conditional formatting rule on the entire sheet by selecting the "format only cells that contain" rule and setting to "specific text not containing" "-"

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dalyb2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back