Formulas making cells not match or work in IF commands

Dannygreen1992

Seems like a really simple issue to be honest but I'm having a real issue getting it to work
I have 2 columns
1 is simply the date as =Today()+1
The other is a vlookup column matching vehicle registrations to designated wash dates
I'm trying an IF function cell, true = a vehicle wash note, false = "" (blank result)
I can't for the life of me get any function within the IF function to recognise 2 matching cells at all. It seems as though regardless of 2 cells matching as "Monday" the IF command or any other won't match them and produce a result. Incredibly frustrated ?

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
which column contains the dates?
which column contains the registration numbers?

what are you trying to match?
- a single column?
- two columns?
- two adjacent cells
etc

do you want the first match or are you looking to identify all cars to be washed on a given date? etc

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm trying to match 1 column generated with a vlookup function to an adjacent column with simply =Today()+1. The cars are washed by drivers but always the same car in the same day.
1 column has just the registration numbers
1 column has tomorrow date in (I'm starting to think this column isn't required)
1 column has a vlookup matching registration numbers to the relevant wash day of the week for any given vehicle
The table is used in a mailmerge which prints off delivery sheets for drivers the following day and the wash notes need to be included on the relevant vehicles only, based on if their vehicle that day is on the wash Rota.
Sorry if I'm confusing the issue

Upvote 0
1 column has a vlookup matching registration numbers to the relevant wash day of the week for any given vehicle
Is this a column of dates?
Are you trying to identify all dates = Today()+1

If so..
Let's assume that the above column of dates is Column "D"
Put this formula in an adjacent column starting with row 2
=If(D2=TODAY()+1,"Wash","")

If you need to insert a specific note pertaining to that vehicle, then replace "Wash" with a lookup formula to get the note
Assuming vehicle registration is in column A, your lookup may look like this
=VLOOKUP(A2,RangeWithNotes, ColumnNoToReturn,FALSE)

and "Wash" is replaced in the IF formula like this..
=If(D2=TODAY()+1,VLOOKUP(A2,RangeWithNotes, ColumnNoToReturn,FALSE),"")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Brilliant. I managed to get the date to match and provide wash notes but only with Today()+1 being manually replaced with the date. I'm going to try the second formula you've provided.
I'm just very happy right now that atleast a manual equivalent works. The amount of pointless handwriting was frustrating.
Thanks for your insight! Apologies for the confusing OP

Upvote 0
The underlying cell values are different - work out what is different and you will be sorted
Dates can be frustrating...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoniJ

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back