Gantt Chart using Conditional Formatting and Months as a Scale

ormont02

Greetings,

I'm currently trying to put together a Gantt Chart like table to show a schedule of when projects start and stop by month. using Excel 2003. My current data includes the following:

A1: Project Name:
B1: Start Date
C1: End Date
D1 to XX: Jan-10 (in format of 01/01/2010), Feb-10 (in format of 02/01/2010), etc.

I'd like to be able to plug in a Start Date (e.g. 10/09/2009) and End Date (e.g. 01/26/2010), and use conditional formatting to highlight the cells to illustrate the project timeline.

I've seen these and read these related posts:
http://www.mrexcel.com/articles/gantt-chart-with-conditional-formatting.php
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315573

The concepts illustrated in these posts such as with the formula =AND(D$1>=$A1,D$1<=$B1) works, with one BIG EXCEPTION...if I enter start and end dates such as the following:

Start Date: 05/26/09
End Date: 10/02/09

The only range of cells that would be highlighted using the current formula (noted above) leaves out May and October as months that are included in the schedule of the project.

So, in essence I'm asking if there is a way or formula that I could write using conditional formatting to ensure the month was highlighted even if the date was beg/mid/late of the month.

Hopefully that makes sense and any help is great greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!

ormont02

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Hi is there any update or answer here for help is greatly appreciated. I'm needing the same answer. thanks! :)

Greetings,

I'm currently trying to put together a Gantt Chart like table to show a schedule of when projects start and stop by month. using Excel 2003. My current data includes the following:

A1: Project Name:
B1: Start Date
C1: End Date
D1 to XX: Jan-10 (in format of 01/01/2010), Feb-10 (in format of 02/01/2010), etc.

I'd like to be able to plug in a Start Date (e.g. 10/09/2009) and End Date (e.g. 01/26/2010), and use conditional formatting to highlight the cells to illustrate the project timeline.

I've seen these and read these related posts:
Excel | Conditional Formatting | Gantt Chart on a Worksheet
Gantt Chart with Conditional Formating

The concepts illustrated in these posts such as with the formula =AND(D$1>=$A1,D$1<=$B1) works, with one BIG EXCEPTION...if I enter start and end dates such as the following:

Start Date: 05/26/09
End Date: 10/02/09

The only range of cells that would be highlighted using the current formula (noted above) leaves out May and October as months that are included in the schedule of the project.

So, in essence I'm asking if there is a way or formula that I could write using conditional formatting to ensure the month was highlighted even if the date was beg/mid/late of the month.

Hopefully that makes sense and any help is great greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!

ormont02

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doanvanhieu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back