Get new data from Powerbi report daily and append to existing data? How to go about it..?

MartyCollins

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
So I have a powerbi report that I’d like to take a snapshot of daily and append to previous days data so that I can generate trends.
I’ve a few powerautomate flows doing kind of similar things so I’m pretty sure this is doable.

Just looking for pointers from someone who is familiar with how to go about this.
Plan would be to take a snapshot from a visual and append it to previous days data in an excel file in sharepoint, then I can use that as source data for a much more useful powerbi report.
Thanks for any pointers in advance.
Marty.

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Was thinking about this last night, and maybe i wasnt clear-- the dataset is not my own but i have report building capability on it-- it is wiped and refreshed every day, essentially it is a daily stock list.
I want to append daily snapshots so that i can trend stocking levels, make sure we are restocking at the right time as i think we may be restocking too early on some parts etc etc.

I was thinking of creating a dataflow (power query online) with some variant of a self referencing table to hold existing data and grab the new data and append-- but i had a quick look just now and i dont see a "connect to powerbi dataset" or anything similar as an option..

TIA,
Marty

Upvote 0
I know of a workaround in Excel Power Query. Therefore you need a functionality which is not available in PBI

Upvote 0
I know of a workaround in Excel Power Query. Therefore you need a functionality which is not available in PBI
Im interested in hearing JEC - Im OK with Powerquery -- my only concern is to get it to refresh daily my PC will need to be switched on (i have no gateway)-- but im all ears.
Ulimately i am just trying to build a dataset by scarping another datset daily.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Ok just to close this out- I was able to do what i needed with a little compromise.
So there is a Power automate action called "Run a query against a dataset".
You just need to provide it with the DAX that will give you the output you desire (this is easily gotten using the performance analyzer in PBI desktop)
So i do this every day and the same flow generates a CSV on sharepoint, and these CSVs accumulate and are now the datasource for my trend data.
Im sure with a little playing around in Power automate i would be able to append the daily data either into an existing CSV or Excel file which would be the complet solution but what I have will work just for fine for me.
Thanks for help,
Marty.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back