Get rid of ALL trailing commas in a text string

diannao man

Hi all

I'm using Excel 2003, Windows XP

I'm trying to get rid of all trailing commas in a text string, for example:

"Steve Smith,,,,,,,,,,,"
"Sarah Golding,,,,,,"

The number of trailing commas varies in a list of 500 names - I've tried a few formulas including these two:

=LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)&SUBSTITUTE(RIGHT(A1), ",", "")
=IF(RIGHT(TRIM(A1),1)=",",LEFT(TRIM(A1),LEN(TRIM(A1))-1),A1)

But these only delete the last comma, where as I'm trying to delete all trailing commas. I've searched these boards somewhat, but can only find formulas similar to the ones above. Can anyone help?

Thanks very much

Diannao man

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Wow doofusboy, your formula worked absolutely spot on, a massive thank you. Thanks to everyone else for your help on this - I tried the array formula, but that seemed to delete everything after the first column? I will try the VBA method too, just to give it a go.

Anyway, thanks again everyone for helping me resolve it so quickly

Diannao Man

Upvote 0
I will try the VBA method too, just to give it a go.
Just remember, the VBA method is set up to physically change your original data within their own cells although I can change it to output the modified data to different cells in order to match how the formula solution works.

Upvote 0
This seems to do the trick:

=LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-(LEN(A1)-SEARCH(",,",A1)+1))
Of course, this formula assumes there will be no double commas (or more) located within the text itself, for example, like this...

one,two,,four,five,,,,,

Upvote 0
This seems to do the trick:

=LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-(LEN(A1)-SEARCH(",,",A1)+1))

Hi doofusboy

Your formula can be simplified to :

=LEFT(A1,SEARCH(",,",A1)-1)

In addition to Rick's remark, it doesn't work if the string end with just 1 comma, maybe you can tweak it?

Upvote 0
of course, this formula assumes there will be no double commas (or more) located within the text itself, for example, like this...

One,two,,four,five,,,,, <!-- / message -->

=substitute(substitute(trim(substitute(substitute(trim(a1), " ", char(143)), ",", " ")), " ", ","), char(143), " ")

Code:
      ----------------------A---------------------- -----------------B-----------------
  1   one,two,,four,five,,,,,                       one,two,four,five                  
  2   Karen Jones, Jim Bob, Sarah Golding,,,,,,,,,, Karen Jones, Jim Bob, Sarah Golding

Upvote 0
=substitute(substitute(trim(substitute(substitute(trim(a1), " ", char(143)), ",", " ")), " ", ","), char(143), " ")

Code:
      ----------------------A---------------------- -----------------B-----------------
  1   one,two,,four,five,,,,,                       one,two,four,five                  
  2   Karen Jones, Jim Bob, Sarah Golding,,,,,,,,,, Karen Jones, Jim Bob, Sarah Golding
Of course this formula assumes there will not be multiple continguous blank spaces within the the text (as the TRIM function will collapse them). I had thought of this formula (it is kind of what my Version1 macro does except VB has a RTrim function that Excel doesn't), as well as the one doofus posted, but opted for the VBA solution because it handles all possible situation. As with any text parsing formula/code, it is always useful to know the ways in which the data being parsed can be constructed. If the OP does not tell us, then we are left guessing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe...

=LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",,",","),SEARCH(",,",SUBSTITUTE(A1,",,",",")&",,")-1)

M.

Upvote 0
Maybe...

=LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",,",","),SEARCH(",,",SUBSTITUTE(A1,",,",",")&",,")-1)
Double internal commas, if any, get collapsed to single commas and if you have three internal commas in a row, the text gets chopped off at that point.

Upvote 0
This works whether there are zero, one, or many commas at the end of your string:

=IF(RIGHT(A4,1)<>",",A4,IF(AND(MID(A4,LEN(A4),1)=",",MID(A4,LEN(A4)-1,2)=",,"),LEFT(A4,LEN(A4)-(LEN(A4)-SEARCH(",,",A4)+1)),IF(AND(MID(A4,LEN(A4),1)=",",MID(A4,LEN(A4)-1,2)<>",,"),LEFT(A4,LEN(A4)-1))))

Will have to think about double-comma in middle of string if you think that's a possibility for your data.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hana2911

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back