getpivotdata() behaves differently depending on the order of fields

skb

Hi all,

I'm encountering a problem in getting data from a pivot table using two sets of arguments to getpivotdata(). Depending on how the Pivot Table is laid out, I sometimes get a #REF! with one or both the getpivotdata() calls.

I have a pivot table on a sheet with the following fields: Project, Cost Type, Cost Duration, Key, Min Cost, Max Cost. All fields are visible in the pivot table.

I use two variants of getpivotdata() in a 3rd sheet called 'Cost Summary':

variant A: getpivotdata(pivotTableVariable, "Sum of Max Cost", "Project", "X", "Cost Type", "Y", "Duration", Z)
variant B: getpivotdata(pivotTableVariable, "Sum of Max Cost", "Cost Type", "XYZ", "Cost Duration", "ABC")

Depending on the order of fields in the pivot table, one or both of these return #REF!. If I play around with the pivot table to move the fields around the right values pop up.

I thought that getpivotdata() worked as long as the data was visible and does not depend on the order of the fields.

Can you please tell me what I'm missing? Thanks a lot,
Sri

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
I can't say I've ever noticed that, assuming that there is only one cell that matches the criteria you specify. Which version of Excel are you using? Can you post a sample workbook somewhere?

Upvote 0
Hi Rory,

Thanks. I will post a sanitized workbook shortly.

I wonder if my setup with pivots on pivoted data might be causing this:

1. The base data is in Sheet 1; it is based on vlookup()s and other formulae pointing to multiple other sheets
2. I create a pivot table (Pivot 1) in a separate sheet (Sheet 2) on the data in Sheet 1
3. I create a third sheet (Sheet 3) based on getpivotdata() on Pivot 1 and vlookups() from another sheet
4. I create a second pivot on Sheet 3 (Pivot 2) in the same sheet as Pivot 1 (Sheet 2)
5. I have a fourth sheet (Sheet 4) based on getpivotdata() of Pivot 2 (I do this mainly for aesthetic and copy/paste to PPT reasons)

Calls to getpivotdata() on both pivot tables act up so I wonder if both pivots being in the same sheet is an issue (don't see why).

Please advise; I am working on uploading a workbook. Thanks and best regards,
Sri

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevenciu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back