Getting range right in VBA statement

levy8450

Help!

The following statement works fine:
lookupval = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Company, Workbooks(main).Worksheets("Comp").Range("A1:G890"), 1)

However, this equivalent statement produces an error:
lookupval = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Company, Workbooks(main).Worksheets("Comp").Range(Cells(1,1),Cells(890,7)), 1)

Since the size of the array matrix gets calculated on the fly, I need to refer to columns by number, not by letter - that's why I need the second form to work.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
There is no apparent difference between the two statements you have posted. Check that you have no typos in the actual code.

Upvote 0
I've checked it several times. THe first one works, the second gets this error message:

Run time error '1004'

Application-defined or object-defined error

I can't think of what is wrong!

Upvote 0
In the first one you use a single string as the range name; in the second you're using two values (the contents of cells A1 and G890) separated by a comma.

In other words, in the first you use "A1" followed by a colon followed by "G890". That makes "A1:G890" which is a valid range name. In the second you use the contents of cell A1 and the contents of G890 separated by a comma (i.e. two values). Only you can know what that makes as I can't see the contents of A1 and G890.

I'm sure you can use .Resize somehow to do this but it's not a technique I know much about... something like Range("A1").Resize(890,7).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, I don't think the Cells command is referring to the content of the cell.

For instance, this function works fine:
ActiveSheet.Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(outputrow, totalcols)).Sort Key1:=Cells(1, totalcols), Order1:=xlAscending

In this case, the variable "outputrow" is just a number, as is the variable "totalcols." Say each has the value "10", This function uses the range from cell 1,1 (A1) to cell 10,10 (J10). It works just fine.

That's why I don't understand why my second form is not working.

I can look into the resize command, but I've never used it.

Thanks for looking into it!

Upvote 0
Well, I don't think the Cells command is referring to the content of the cell.
I stand corrected! I couldn't see how Cells(1,1) could return anything other than the value in Cells(1,1) but Excel obviously knows to expect a range in that position and not a value.

Let me have another go at this...

How about: you're not qualifying Cells(1,1) and Cells(890,7), so it's taking them from ActiveSheet rather than from Workbooks(main).Worksheets("Comp").

Try:-

Code:
With Workbooks(main).Worksheets("Comp")
lookupval = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Company, [SIZE=4][COLOR=red][B].[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]Range([SIZE=4][COLOR=red][B].[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]Cells(1,1),[B][SIZE=4][COLOR=red].[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]Cells(890,7)), 1)
End With

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I stand corrected! I couldn't see how Cells(1,1) could return anything other than the value in Cells(1,1) but Excel obviously knows to expect a range in that position and not a value.

Let me have another go at this...

How about: you're not qualifying Cells(1,1) and Cells(890,7), so it's taking them from ActiveSheet rather than from Workbooks(main).Worksheets("Comp").

Try:-

Code:
With Workbooks(main).Worksheets("Comp")
lookupval = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Company, [SIZE=4][COLOR=red][B].[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]Range([SIZE=4][COLOR=red][B].[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]Cells(1,1),[B][SIZE=4][COLOR=red].[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]Cells(890,7)), 1)
End With

You are absolutely, 100% right!

Thank you so much. I was already working on a very clunky work-around, now I can do it correctly!

Upvote 0
That's good news... I can stop guessing now! ;)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mm424

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back