Getting rid of add ons

Billionzz

Board Regular
My wife recently downloaded a program called checkbook on her PC.

It was an Excel program and although she ended up deleting it all of the extra buttons stayed on all of her Excel files ( alot of extra buttons 20 or 30).

I tried to get rid of them but I couldn't figure it out so I unistalled Office 2000 then reinstalled it. After that I opened up Excel again and all of the buttons are still there.

Could someone tell me what to do to get rid of these buttons?

Thanks,
Bill

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Bill

Where are these buttons located?

Are they on toolbars?

If they are then you could goto View>Toolbars>Customize... and reset the existing toolbars, or delete any added ones.

Upvote 0
You can also try Tools--Add-Ins and uncheck it if it's checked. (If it was an add-in).

HTH,

Smitty

Upvote 0
Was it an Add-In you installed or was it a Workbook you opened?

I ask because each works differently. If it was an Add-In it should have been Un-Installed from the Excel Toolbar: Tools - Add-Ins...

If it should have been un-Installed as an Add-In and you did not it will be Harder to fix?

If it was a Workbook then it may be a Custom Toolbar?
You can check if it is by clicking the Excel Toolbar: View - Toolbars
Then look for one that is checked near the bottom that does not look like one you use or for one that may have a name related to that unwanted program. Then just un-check it!

If this does not fix it, then the program may have installed Custom Icon Buttons to one of the Standard Toolbars?

If this is the case then you will need to Right-click the Right End of ToolBar that they are on and select Customize or Add/Remove Buttons.

Then drag each bad one off the toolbar and then Exit and re-oppen Excel, they should remain off. If they did not remain off the check the Add-Ins for something that does not look like it should be there and un-click it!

If this does not fix the problem then some other code or Registry tweak is modifing the Toolbar. Depending on the version of Windows you have you may need to call-up a date that had a good registry and install that version from the Registry - Restore.

Or, find where the modify code is comming from or use the Toolbar Reset and delete/customize any custom toolbars to what you want. Instructions for doing this is in Excel Help.

Upvote 0
It was on the toolbar menu.

Thanks for the help, something so simple and I missed it. I haven't been using Excel that much lately but you would think I would remeber this.

Bill

Upvote 0
Na, the things we use less are the hardest to remember. Word and Excel customize toolbars differently it took me two days to figure out how to get WORD to remember my custom toolbar settings [Had to customize the default template (Normal.dot hidden in the Microsoft/Template folder!) not the active page!] unlike Excel which lets you customize toolbars on the fly and then remembers your settings.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back