Graphing Points on a Graph

MarkAlmighty

I need some assistance.

Here's the details....1. I have a graph of stock prices over about 10 years (X-axis = date, Y-axis = stock price). 2. I want to plot points (Dates) on that graph. 3. There are about 100 dates I want to plot on the graph, so I don't really want to manually insert points. Does anyone know how I might accomplish this? Thanks!

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)

GlennUK

I'm sorry, but your request isn't clear to me. What do you mean when you say that you want to plot points on the graph? Your graph already consists of points doesn't it? So what points are you talking about here?

MarkAlmighty

Well, the graph consists of dates (every day) on the X-axis and stock prices (for those days) on the Y-axis in the form of an area chart. However, there are about 100 days (within the days graphed above) that represent a special event and I would like to note those by a marker/point on the graph.

tusharm

MrExcel MVP
In an adjacent empty column, in the first row that contains a 'highlight' day, enter the formula ={cell containing actual value for that day}. Next, copy the cell with the newly-entered formula. In the same (new) column, select every cell that will corresponds to a highlighted day. Paste.

Select all three columns and create a Line chart (I assume that's what you want). Format the 2 series as desired.

Well, the graph consists of dates (every day) on the X-axis and stock prices (for those days) on the Y-axis in the form of an area chart. However, there are about 100 days (within the days graphed above) that represent a special event and I would like to note those by a marker/point on the graph.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFORTH97