Having problems moving the selection on a protected sheet

Anaraki

Hi,

I have no idea what has occured here, but have been trolling forum posts for a good few hours and am still unable to find a working solution....

My problem is this:

I have an excel workbook which is heavily reliant on Macros to move data around within the workbook and also clear data that has been moved. The functions of the workbook all worked fine until I have recently started to edit it in order to adapt it to requested changes.

The front sheet of this workbook has both locked and unlocked cells within it and I only want the unlocked cells to be selected. I seem to have an issue that whenever I protect the front sheet (and only the front sheet), no matter what key I try, Enter, tab, arrow keys, the selection will not move from that of the cell selected. However when I unprotect the sheet everything functions as normal. Also it may be worth noting that if I set the protection to allow selection of locked cells it functions as normal too. The unlocked cells can still be selected with the mouse, and allows editing.

The solutions I have tried is as follows:

• Checked Scroll lock is not on - even with scroll lock on, the arrow keys still do nothing
  • Check the options to make sure 'Move selection after pressing Enter' is checked both whilst the sheet is protected and unprotected
  • Lock and then unlock the unlocked cells
  • Checked all the required cells are unlocked
  • Using coding to
    PHP:
    ActiveSheet.EnableSelection = xlUnlockedCells
    Both on the macros and on workbook load.
However none of these work... I'm at my wits end, could anyone possibly provide any insight?

I was playing around with the move selection after enter for a while, but as I have checked that this is still set as on and to 'Down' I can't see that this will be the issue.

As the workbook worked fine until I started editing things, I don't see how the macros could have really affected it either?

It seems that protecting the sheet is fully disabling the keys which are used for navigation of cells, am I missing something idiotically simple here? The only resolution I see is to totally rebuild this first sheet, but I am reluctant to do so with the amount of data that is on it.

Thanks in Advance.

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
You may be more successful in getting assistance if you posted your code and detailed exactly which line(s) is(are) causing problems/errors. Otherwise people trying to help you are just guessing.

Upvote 0
Thanks, however after countless more hours trolling forums, I have found that other people that have had this exact same issue have only been able to get around it by creating a new workbook, and simply copying and pasting everything into this.

The problem is that it isn't a single set of cells that is being affected, but rather the whole sheet. Even with Macro's disabled, I still have this issue.

Therefore I'm just going to give up and create a new workbook, it seems that I will spend more time trying to correct this error than it would to just start over. :(

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back