Help creating a GMT/Local time spreadsheet

talonpilot

Hello everyone, its been a while since my last post but after searching the boards for hours, I give up and need to ask for some help. Thanks to all who have posted and answered, its always a great help! I am sorry if I dont fully explain myself, I may be a little "punch drunk" fm searching for so long..... here is my delima.....

I have created a spreadsheet where I enter the date and time into cell A3 (formatted as dd-mmm-yy, hh:mm). In cell A4, i have created a formula that uses a vlookup to search "table1" for the local time zone conversion factor. My formula reads "=A3-VLOOKUP(A1,Table1,4,FALSE). My formula works great, as long as you subtract the vlookup value fm A3. As I travel across timezones, eventually I will need to add time to A3.

How can I write this formula to return the local time, weather it is GMT -7:00 or GMT +4:00, without going in and actually changing the formula to read "=A3+VLOOKUP(A1,Table1,4,FALSE)? I need it to search the table to find out weather it should add 7 hrs, or subtract 8 hrs (depending on the timezone I am in). Is there a better way to create table1 so that when it looks it up, it will "just know" to add/subtract x hrs fm the time entered?

Currently I am still a little unsure about which time format to use when entering the station time (i.e. New York GMT -4:00; do I use hh:mm, [h]:mm, general, etc?), but I want the dispayed results to be displayed juat as I entered the original time (dd-mmm-yy, hh:mm).

ANY help to get me headed in the right direction would be great. Thanks again for the posts!

Mark

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
You can't display negative times in Excel unless you use the 1904 date system, which will corrupt any dates currently in your workbook. You can enter a negative time like this:

-"07:00"

and format the cell as General. Then you need only add your VLOOKUP result.

Upvote 0
Andrew,

Thanks for your reply, sorry that it took me so long to thank you for your suggestion. It worked perfectly! It wasnt quite what I had in mind, but it works very reliably for what I am doing. Thanks again!!

Mark

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mm424

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back