help designing a sheet.

crusader8463

Hi all, I’m going to try and explain my predicament as simply as possible in hopes to get some help. What I’m doing is all the book work for my father’s business. He does service calls to change tires on tractor trailers. So what I’m taxed with, is to take the bills he has for each service call, input them all into excel for each individual person, then total which bills people have or have not paid him. Simple I’m sure, but I’m a total beginner to excel and for the life of me can’t figure out a template I can use to just keep plugging in the numbers from all these receipts.

What I need the sheet to do:

<!--[if !supportLists]-->1.<!--[endif]-->Rows containing; Costumers name, invoice number, date of service, subtotal, tax, total, and whether or not they have paid yet.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->2.<!--[endif]-->I then need to take that data and group it to see how much each person still owes, which individual bills they have paid, and which individual bills they have yet to pay.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->3.<!--[endif]-->Then take all that data from each separate bill statement, and make an account balance for each person he does work for.

I had already done this for over a year’s worth of work he did. But after all the data was in, for the life of me I couldn’t think of a way to do step 2-3. The problem is that on some jobs he does, the people will pay him upfront, in which case he marks paid on the bill. But other times they will send him a check in the mail 1-3+ months later and some times not for the full amount they owe. Now I have a list of all those checks he receives, but I can’t find a simple way to subtract those checks from what people still owe him.

I need a way to sub-total each customers bills, but still be able to add in payments, or future bills and payments that person may have. Each month he does more work, and sometimes for the same people, so I need to be able to just sit down, look at each bill, and just type in the data I need off it into each person’s separate account.

The only way I could think to do this, is to give each different customer he has their own work sheet. But this makes the file size huge and organizing totals a pain. Not to mention editing the data in individual accounts for future work/payments a pain.

Anyway, any and all help will be much appreciated. I’m really lost as to find a way to do this. I guess a simple way to sum up everything I said above, would be a pivot table that I can add future bills to, and subtract payments from each customer’s total.

Sal
I understand your post with exception of the =INDEX(Customer,MATCH(0,COUNTIF(Customer,"<"&Customer),0))} portion. Think you can explain how the INDEX portion fits into it. I tried to understand it using the Formula Auditor but can't quite conceptualize it.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
crusader8463<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1778368", true); </SCRIPT>

Do you need to reconcile Total in master list and the check amount in the slip?

What if

1) partially paid.
2) one check for multiple job with incorrect amount ?

Upvote 0
Part of the problem is that now you'll be unable to tell which invoices have been paid for or not. Ideally you would autofilter your invoices list when you received a payment, and then paid off the oldest invoices for that customer, and provide the remainder on your customer summary sheet.

For instance:
Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGHI
1Paid?CustomerInvoiceDateSubtotalTaxTotalPaidBalance
21Andy Alfa00000112/14/2008$611.23$30.56$641.79$641.79$0.00
30Bernie Beta00000212/15/2008$135.97$6.80$142.77$100.00$42.77
41Chris Charlie00000312/16/2008$609.60$30.48$640.08$640.08$0.00
51Dean Delta00000412/17/2008$515.06$25.75$540.81$540.81$0.00
60Andy Alfa00000512/18/2008$96.97$4.85$101.82$0.00$101.82
Sheet1

Then for your summary:
Excel Workbook
ABCD
1CustomerCurrent BalancePayments PendingAccount Credit
2Andy Alfa$101.821$0.00
3Bernie Beta$142.771$0.00
4Chris Charlie$0.000$100.00
5Dean Delta$0.000$50.00
Sheet2

It's not perfect, but it will do the job.

Upvote 0
The COUNTIF(Customer,"<"&Customers) in the first array (A2) probably isn't actually necessary (since it will always take the first value).

However, in general what the formula is doing from A3~ is that it checks to see if each element of the array exists in the cells above it, and if it doesn't, to enter the value of whatever the next element that doesn't exist is.

How it does that is by using the INDEX() function to return the Nth row of the range 'Customer' by using the MATCH() and COUNTIF() to determine which row that Nth one should be.

Upvote 0
is there anyone who can explain how to get the formulas to work? i keep drawing a blank on how to implement the cell codes from the example above. I'm a novice with excel so most of that looks like sanskrit to me. lol

Upvote 0
The problem I'm having is with the 2nd sheet. How do i get the cells in the 2nd sheet to ref the information from the first sheet? As I said above the formulas for the 2nd sheet just boggles my mind on how to implement them.

As a side question. I did it a few times in the past but cant recall how to do it. How do i get the formula from say the first sheets (A) Column to automatically copy itself into each cell below as i add more rows to the list?

Sorry for all the stupid questions. I'm rather lost atm. I always hate this part of learning a new program lol all the stupid questions lol :(

Upvote 0
The sheet I provided will work as is. Be sure that you enter the formulas with {} without the {}, but by confirming them with CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER.

I don't see where the problem is.

Upvote 0
the problem is when i enter the formulas on the 2nd sheet every cell just says

#NAME?

I'm sure its some simple thing I'm doing wrong but i have no clue :eek:

Upvote 0
Then get one of the Excel to HTML editors like the one linked after the chart I posted, and show us what you're doing. Telling us it's giving you #NAME? doesn't help unless you tell us where the error is showing and what formula is causing it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chislobog

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back