Help in figuring out how to copy rows out of a sheet based on value in a column.

Karsaxx

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi there,

Hope all is well.

I am having trouble figuring this out and would love some assistance as my knowledge is limited.

I have 3 sheets in different docs,

Source doc : Master Sheet
Processing doc: (Results
Search Terms doc: Search list

What i am trying to do is using a value found in the Search list sheet and looking for it in the F column in the Source Doc and if found, bring the whole row into results. The value may repeat throughout the source doc but always in the same column.

Is this something that i can do in VBA so i can just change the value and redo the search?

Help is greatly appreciated.
Karsa

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
What i am trying to do is using a value found in the Search list sheet and looking for it in the F column in the Source Doc
What does this mean? Are the "values" in the Search list numbers or text? And by "looking for it" are you looking for an exact match of the entire "value" or merely looking to determine if the value is found somewhere within the entries of column F of the Source worksheet/document? For example, if my search list includes "g" and column F consists of three rows containing {"g"; "dog"; "cat"}, should the results return only the 1st row...or both the 1st and 2nd rows?

Upvote 0
Although I'm not sure what the answers are to the questions I asked above, I've assumed the "values" are text and that "looking for" matches means that if any of the search strings are found anywhere in any of the entries in the column F Master table, then you want the row. I've used a spilling formula to return the results. The Search terms shown in this sheet are there for reference only...they are not used directly and can be deleted from this sheet. If this is close to what is needed, I would like to know if the search terms on the Search sheet are in an official Excel table, or do they occupy a range? In the example here, they occupy a range...I haven't converted that range to a Table, although doing so would have some advantages, as the formula could be simplified.
MrExcel_Results.xlsx
ABCDEFGHIJ
9Results:
10Col1Col2Col3Col4Col5Col6Col7Col8Search Terms
11qwertyuiy
12zxcvbnm<n
13bvcxfnrd
Results
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A11:H13A11=FILTER([MrExcel_Source.xlsx]Master!$A$2:$H$100,BYROW(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH(TRANSPOSE([MrExcel_Search.xlsx]Search!$A$2:INDEX([MrExcel_Search.xlsx]Search!$A:$A,COUNTA([MrExcel_Search.xlsx]Search!$A:$A))),[MrExcel_Source.xlsx]Master!$F2:$F100)),LAMBDA(row,SUM(row))))
J11:J12J11=[MrExcel_Search.xlsx]Search!$A$2:INDEX([MrExcel_Search.xlsx]Search!$A:$A,COUNTA([MrExcel_Search.xlsx]Search!$A:$A))
Dynamic array formulas.

The Master sheet found in the workbook MrExcel_Source.xlsx looks like this:
MrExcel_Source.xlsx
ABCDEFGH
1Col1Col2Col3Col4Col5Col6Col7Col8
2qwertyui
3asdfghjk
4zxcvbnm<
5plmnkhij
6bvcxfnrd
Master

The Search sheet found in the workbook MrExce_Search.xlsx looks like this:
MrExcel_Search.xlsx
A
1Search List
2y
3n
Search

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnnetteP

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back