Help - Macros Disappeared!

Jeff Leubecker

I use a spreadsheet with macros (.xlsm) every week (for several years) to essentially download fuel usage data. Today I used the macro, did a quick save as I always do, and exited. After about an hour, I had to get back in the spreadsheet. To my surprise, the macros are gone. In addition, in the VBA window, the module (module1) is listed under modules, but if you click on it, the work area is gray. This is the same for the various sheet macros as well. It's like Macros are not allowed in the spreadsheet. I changed no settings, nor even accessed settings the last time I was in the spreadsheet.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but can anybody help here?

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
With the VBA editor open, double-click on all entries in turn. After that choose from the menu: Window, Cascade.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion, but this didn't help.

I tried to record a macro to force something into the work area of the VBA window, but I get an error saying "The syntax of this name isn't correct", even though it was the default "Macro1" name and there isn't already a macro by that name. I also tried to "Save As" as an .xlsm (even though it already is an .xlsm), and it says the file is corrupted and wouldn't let me save it. Nevertheless, I can close and open the file and adjust auto filters.

I have a printout of my original macros. I guess I'll have to recreate the file.

Upvote 0
Have you tried Open and Repair on the file?

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
provoking

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back