HELP NEEDED - Deleting all cells from a list that contain any cells from another list for 2010 EXCEL

sgalasch

Hi Guys,

I am in need of a little help with a fairly simple task i am having a problem with.

I have 2 lists of names, lets call them "large list' in sheet 1 and "small list" in sheet 2.

The small list contains names that are in the large list that i want deleted from the large list leaving the unmatched names behind.

I know how to delete the blanks from the large list after.

Pretty simple right? :confused: I hope so. This is for Excel 2010.

Any help would be appreciated I am a newbie to Excel so a "how to implement" would also be helpful thanks.

Thanks Sean :cool:

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Quick(ish) manual way - Do a vlookup in the column beside the large list items. Do it so it finds/does not find an item in the small list. In the false statement put it as "AAAAA". Then sort that column A-Z. Any that appear in the list will have the name replicated, any that don't will have AAAAA. So just delete that batch (they should all be at the top).

Upvote 0
Quick(ish) manual way - Do a vlookup in the column beside the large list items. Do it so it finds/does not find an item in the small list. In the false statement put it as "AAAAA". Then sort that column A-Z. Any that appear in the list will have the name replicated, any that don't will have AAAAA. So just delete that batch (they should all be at the top).

Thanks couple quick questions: what is a vlookup?

what is a false statement?

Sorry should of said i have never used excel much before today :)

I think i need a code solution :confused: not that i know how to implement, any help would be great.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
malcolmlyle

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back