Help on what type of formula should be use?

RUERIE

Hi Everyone, I been cracking my head out but I think Excel should be able to resolve just maybe I am not knowledgeable enough...

Am using Excel 2010, I need to provide a formula that can generate the course the student is exempted from and what modules student needs to take in order to complete Course 4

E.G) If Student completed Module ABC, the result should reflect Course 1, 2, 3 & 5.
I would also need a formula that is able to show Course 4 just require Student to complete Module D

I was thinking of using Vlookup with CONCATENATE function.. but that doesn't seem to make it..
Is it possible to generate a formula for this? Appreciate the help and replies!!

Course 1Module AModule C
Course 2Module BModule D
Course 3Module AModule BModule C
Course 4Module AModule BModule CModule D
Course 5Module AModule BModule C

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
If you wanted to put the Courses Exempt on the right side of the student chart for each student you could use

Code:
Sub Courses()
Dim C1 As String
Dim C2 As String
Dim C3 As String
Dim C4 As String
Dim C5 As String
Dim Mycell As Range

For Each Mycell In Range("F2:F6")
C1 = ""
C2 = ""
C3 = ""
C4 = ""
C5 = ""
        If Mycell(1, -3).Value >= Sheets("Sheet3").Range("B2").Value And Mycell(1, -2).Value >= Sheets("Sheet3").Range("C2").Value And Mycell(1, -1).Value >= Sheets("Sheet3").Range("D2").Value And Mycell(1, 0).Value >= Sheets("Sheet3").Range("E2").Value Then
        C1 = "1, "
        End If

If Mycell(1, -3).Value >= Sheets("Sheet3").Range("B3").Value And Mycell(1, -2).Value >= Sheets("Sheet3").Range("C3").Value And Mycell(1, -1).Value >= Sheets("Sheet3").Range("D3").Value And Mycell(1, 0).Value >= Sheets("Sheet3").Range("E3").Value Then
        C2 = "2, "
        End If
        If Mycell(1, -3).Value >= Sheets("Sheet3").Range("B4").Value And Mycell(1, -2).Value >= Sheets("Sheet3").Range("C4").Value And Mycell(1, -1).Value >= Sheets("Sheet3").Range("D4").Value And Mycell(1, 0).Value >= Sheets("Sheet3").Range("E4").Value Then
        C3 = "3, "
        End If

If Mycell(1, -3).Value >= Sheets("Sheet3").Range("B5").Value And Mycell(1, -2).Value >= Sheets("Sheet3").Range("C5").Value And Mycell(1, -1).Value >= Sheets("Sheet3").Range("D5").Value And Mycell(1, 0).Value >= Sheets("Sheet3").Range("E5").Value Then
        C4 = "4, "
        End If

If Mycell(1, -3).Value >= Sheets("Sheet3").Range("B6").Value And Mycell(1, -2).Value >= Sheets("Sheet3").Range("C6").Value And Mycell(1, -1).Value >= Sheets("Sheet3").Range("D6").Value And Mycell(1, 0).Value >= Sheets("Sheet3").Range("E6").Value Then
        C5 = "5"
        End If

Mycell.Value = C1 & C2 & C3 & C4 & C5
Next Mycell
End Sub

Upvote 0
oh my! THANKS

Can you brief me through a little on the VBA code. ?
If I expand my modules, how should i edit the vba code?

again i'm sorry for my questions... i am still new to vba... =(

Upvote 0
So the VBA is as follows.

C1-C5 are strings (essentially a series of characters)
myCell is a range (a cell or cells)

We are using a For loop. This means it will go through each cell in the range that you give it. If you increase the number of students you will increase the F6.

Then I make sure each of the strings is set to Blank (""). This is done because if you don't once the string changes it will remain that way.

Then we come to the If Statements.

There is 1 if statement for each course. As mentioned before myCell is a range (Cell or Cells, in this case a Cell between F2:F6 When you add (1, -3) after mycell you are modifying the position of that cell (Row, Column) (1 represents the place of the cell).

Code:
So the range starts with F2
    F2(1,-3)=B2    >= covers if the course has a module or it is blank and the student has the module
                                          This is the Cell that holds Module A                           C2
If (F2(1,-3)         >=            Sheets("Sheet3").Range("B2").Value AND                  F2(1,-2) >= ......

If all that is true Then C1 = "1, "

Then it does the same thing for Course 2, 3, 4, and 5

Then at the end it strings together the values for C1 C2 C3 C4 and C5

Then it loops back up and does it for F3

So to expand the code for additional modules would still take some work, You would have to add additional mycell(1,-4), mycell(1,-5) etc. but it is relatively quick to do that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
THANKS!!! Please allow me to attempt this again!!
I have tried with my VBA, but somehow the PC had to die on me.. Im awaiting to reinstall the excel program.. i will attempt this and again THANKS a MILLION!

I am so inspired to improve my excel skills! :biggrin:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chestertim

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back