HELP!! with SUBSTITUTE FUNCTION within an AVERAGE FUNTION. taking < values as the value and not as zero and then averaging within the same formula

Bigr2

I will try to explain my issue: I am being required to start sending a Monthly Monitoring Report to the State electronically. This report has always been done in excel and I have always reported my data in a manner where it is useful to me in other areas. The data is laboratory analysis data that is full of < values due to certain detection levels. The state report will make all of my < values (<20, <0.005) into zeros, which is what they want, however I would like to export the data to another workbook that will take all of my < values as the detection level (so <20 will need to reference 20 when averaging and not zero) for other record keeping purposes. On another report I do once every 5 years I cant use < values as zero, I have to use the detection level itself.

Ok so now the background is out of the way, If I have an entire column of <20 and other values, I want to average the entire column (skipping blank cells) with the formula seeing the <20's as 20, but visually being able to still see all the < values for reference. The closest I have come to accomplishing this is with the formula =(AVERAGE(SUBSTITUTE(RANGE OF CELLS,"<","")*1)) with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER to make it an array. This does exactly what I want it to do, but if there is a blank cell in the range it throws and error (#VALUE!). We do not collect data every day of the Month so it is essential that it skip the blank cells. I cannot change the formatting from the parent workbook so it will export or copy and paste to the states electronic submittal system. Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
=AVERAGE(IF(A1:A10<>"",SUBSTITUTE(A1:A10,"<","")*1))
Array formula, use Ctrl-Shift-Enter as you've mentioned

Upvote 0
This may work for you:

=AVERAGE(IF(A1:A20<>"",SUBSTITUTE(A1:A20,"<","")+0))

CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER of course. A1:A20 being your range.

Upvote 0
It WORKS!!! Thanks!!! you guys are awesome. I really appreciate it. I've got one more question though: Using the same formula, if all of my data are < values, how can I have the average display a <? So if all my data points are <20, I want the formula to equate them as 20 for averaging purposes, but still show <20 in the formulated cell for the average. It might end up being something I have to delete the formula out of and just manually enter if I ever run into that issue. Again, Thanks!!!! I no longer want to throw my computer out the window or beat my head against the wall!!

Upvote 0
Sorry, only half of what I wrote showed up, but anyways. Thanks Again!! I was curious if using the same formula I could make the average display a < value if all the data was < values? So, if all of the data in a column are <20's, and I want the formula to see <20's as 20 for averaging purposes, I would like it to still display <20 in the formulated Average cell. It can't formulate <20 if all the data is 20, only if it's <20, If that makes sense. I know if this cant be done I can just erase the formula from the cell and manually enter the info the time or so a year i might run into this.
Thanks Again!!

Upvote 0
Can you post a sample and expected result? I'm not sure I understand what you want.

Upvote 0
If I have a column with a range I'm wanting to take the average of (using the same average/substitute formula you helped me with above), How can I get the that formula to display a <20 if all the data in the range are <20's, but get it to display just "20" if all the data happened to be 20 or rounded to be 20? I know a formula can be included to make an average that returned "20" be displayed as a "<20", but I could actually have an average of 20 and not <20. Not sure if that cleared up the mud much....

Upvote 0
<20, <20, <20, <20 = desired displayed average "<20"
<20, <20, 20 , 20 = desired displayed average "20"
<20, <20, 21, <20 = desired displayed average "20"
20, 20 , 20 , 20= desired displayed average "20"
<20, 20, 30, 50 = desired displayed average "28"

Upvote 0
I can't quite figure this one out, but I will keep trying.

Edit: And as soon as I posted this I found a solution:

=IF(COUNTIF(A1:A20,"=<20")=ROWS(A1:A20),"<20",AVERAGE(IF(A1:A20<>"",SUBSTITUTE(A1:A20,"<","")+0)))

CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back