Help with VBA code for "File Save As" and path

MassSpecGuru

Board Regular
I have an Excel 2003 workbook that, once the user is finished with, prompts the user to save the updated workbook.

I used the Application.Dialogs(xlDialogSaveAs).Show command to prompt the user for the file name, however, I want the "default" save to folder to be the one in which the current workbook resides. Is there any way to do this?

Also, is there a way to prevent the user from over-writing the existing workbook?

Thanks for any suggestions.

GTO

MrExcel MVP
You may wish to look at Application.GetSaveAsFilename

schielrn

Maybe try this. Some or most of this may not be needed and you can modify as you want:

Rich (BB code):
Sub test()
Dim fDialog As Office.FileDialog
Dim nameOfFile As String
Set fDialog = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogSaveAs)
With fDialog
    '.AllowMultiSelect = False 'Not sure if you need these
    '.Filters.Clear 'Not sure if you need these
    '.Filters.Add "Excel File", "*.xls*" 'Not sure if you need these
    .Title = "Please select the file you would like to import"
  .InitialFileName = ActiveWorkbook.Path
    If .Show = False Then Exit Sub
End With
End Sub
As for preventing overwriting an existing workbook, you could maybe put in a test to check if the workbook exists in that directory.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manpais

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• VBA code giving errors and stopping Excel
    Hello Experts, I have this code being used to loop through files in a file path, and copy specific data to another sheet. It is giving me several...
  • Disable MsgBox message
    Morning, I have a userform where if i leave a ComboBox empty i see a MsgBox warning me that i must enter an invoice number. It is this MsgBox i...
  • Macro Recorder into VBA, Copy Paste Data Filled Cells
    Hi Everyone, I have a macro recorder file that takes a selection of data, copies, then pastes into a new sheet on ("A2:B2") The issue is my...
  • Number format changes while pasting into a cell
    Hi, I am trying to paste a number 180204524303 from an email to an excel cell, however, whenever i try to do so , the the paste value appears as...
  • Collating data
    Hello all. Could someone please help. I am trying to pull all column data from multiple sheets (24 I total so far) into 1 master sheet without...
  • Sum Multiple Columns Based on Multiple Criteria
    I am trying to consolidate data by summing columns G through M based on material, plant, vendor, and fiscal year being identical. The period does...