here's the simplest question ever asked ..... (grin)

dave_cason

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

Total newbie to excel ..... got a template and make this ...... I figured out most of it except how to copy and paste or add more rows to the bottom.

I've tried the paste SPECIAL and then ALL but no lines show up and I can't figure out that format painter thing........

I just want the same look in all the rows to run on forever ..... right now I can't figure out how to cut & paste rows 8,9 and 10 to the next
unformatted row(s) like 14,15 and 16 for example.

I just want to add more rows past 13. Yep, silly total newbie question but after watching a few YT vids still no joy ! (grin)

Cheers'
Dave

Attachments

• format screen cap.png
    format screen cap.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 10

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
To use the Format Painter, select the rows that have the formatting you want to duplicate, then press the Format Painter button and then select the cells you want to apply that format to.

IE: select rows 8, 9 and 10, press Format Painter, then select rows 14, 15 and 16.

Upvote 0
Hi, yep, tried that ......nothing !?
I just tried to do all 3 rows and even just one and that row 14 is still white and unformatted.

- I click row # 9 for example, the row is highlighted by a green box and the cell turn gray....... as normal. (pic 1)

- I took a pic with the cell phone camera because the screen cap function does not show the paint brush and the plus sign.
(however this site says 630 kb is too big)
- But its there and when I then click on the row 14 - it still stays white and looks unformatted.

Is there a shift button I need to hold down or a specific place on the row I newed to click ?

I put the 21k file on to my google drive ......

This shouldn't be this hard should it? (grin) Maybe its child proof - that's why I can't do it!

Cheers'
Dave

Attachments

• row 9.png
    row 9.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
Hi, yep, tried that ......nothing !?
I just tried to do all 3 rows and even just one and that row 14 is still white and unformatted.

- I click row # 9 for example, the row is highlighted by a green box and the cell turn gray....... as normal. (pic 1)

- I took a pic with the cell phone camera because the screen cap function does not show the paint brush and the plus sign.
(however this site says 630 kb is too big)
- But its there and when I then click on the row 14 - it still stays white and looks unformatted.

Is there a shift button I need to hold down or a specific place on the row I newed to click ?

I put the 21k file on to my google drive ......

This shouldn't be this hard should it? (grin) Maybe its child proof - that's why I can't do it!

Cheers'
Dave
Is your data formatted as a table? I just tried to use the Format Painter on some rows in a table and it did not paste the formatting on the target rows.

Edit: Silly question, yes it is, I see it in the screen shot in your first post. If you want to extend the table, and it's formatting, click the little arrow in the bottom right corner of the last row until your cursor looks like diagonal two-sided arrows, then drag that down as far as you need.

Upvote 0
@dave_cason The shading in column E paints fine, the border lines aren't normal formatting, they are part of the Table style and will appear when you insert a new line in the table

Upvote 0
Is your data formatted as a table? I just tried to use the Format Painter on some rows in a table and it did not paste the formatting on the target rows.

Edit: Silly question, yes it is, I see it in the screen shot in your first post. If you want to extend the table, and it's formatting, click the little arrow in the bottom right corner of the last row until your cursor looks like diagonal two-sided arrows, then drag that down as far as you need.

AH HA !

That did it ...... " If you want to extend the table, and it's formatting, click the little arrow in the bottom right corner of the last row until your cursor looks like
diagonal two-sided arrows, then drag that down as far as you need. "

Thanks very much for the help, it was driving me crazy, (not that I'm not l'm already halfway there ) I really appreciate the help!

I hope you have a great weekend !

Cheers'
Dave

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back