Highlighting row where you are

Bethiepooh

Board Regular
I am interested in finding out how I can highlight the row I am currently working in? When I move rows, I want the highlighting to move to the appropriate row. How do you do this?

Thanks Nate.

You definitely put me on the right track. I opted to use the following if. . .then statement:

Code:
     If ActiveWorkbook.Name = "MyFileName.xls" Then 'replace MyFileName with your file's name

Below is the completed working code. This is an entirely unobtrusive highlighting routine which highlights the entire row while allowing entries to be keyed in. It only highlights when the cursor keys are used to move around the sheet. Unlike the highlight routine originally posted in this thread, this adds the following advantages:

1) It does not disable the undo button. Therefore if you made a huge delete or paste error and then cursored around the sheet you can still go back and undo the error at any time.

2) You can copy and paste by selecting with the mouse

3) Unconditional formats which are removed by the former program remain intact.

Place this code in the Worksheet module you wish to incorporate highlighting (e.g. Sheet1)

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()

Application.OnKey "{RIGHT}", "HighlightRight"

Application.OnKey "{LEFT}", "HighlightLeft"

Application.OnKey "{UP}", "HighlightUp"

Application.OnKey "{DOWN}", "HighlightDown"

End Sub

Private Sub Worksheet_Deactivate()

Application.OnKey "{RIGHT}"

Application.OnKey "{LEFT}"

Application.OnKey "{UP}"

Application.OnKey "{DOWN}"

End Sub

Place this code into your macro module (e.g. module1):

Code:
Sub HighlightRight()

On Error Resume Next

x = ActiveCell.Column

y = ActiveCell.Row

Range("a" & y, "iv" & y).Select

Range(Cells(ActiveCell.Row, x + 1), Cells(ActiveCell.Row, x + 1)).Activate

End Sub

Sub HighlightLeft()

On Error Resume Next

x = ActiveCell.Column

y = ActiveCell.Row

Range("a" & y, "iv" & y).Select

Range(Cells(ActiveCell.Row, x - 1), Cells(ActiveCell.Row, x - 1)).Activate

End Sub

Sub HighlightUp()

On Error Resume Next

x = ActiveCell.Column

y = ActiveCell.Row

Range("a" & y - 1, "iv" & y - 1).Select

Range(Cells(y - 1, x), Cells(y - 1, x)).Activate

End Sub

Sub HighlightDown()

On Error Resume Next

x = ActiveCell.Column

y = ActiveCell.Row

Range("a" & y + 1, "iv" & y + 1).Select

Range(Cells(y + 1, x), Cells(y + 1, x)).Activate

End Sub

Place the following code into the 'ThisWorkbook' module if you wish to only have the highlighting occur only within the one workbook when other workbooks are open:

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_WindowActivate(ByVal Wn As Window)

If ActiveWorkbook.Name = "MyFileName.xls" Then 'replace MyFileName with your file's name

End If

End Sub

Private Sub Workbook_WindowDeactivate(ByVal Wn As Window)

Application.OnKey "{UP}"

End Sub

-aldo

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
Howdy aldo, you're welcome, glad and to be of help.

Are you nominating yourself for the HOF? :biggrin:

Originally, I had a worksheet test in the following:<pre>
Private Sub Workbook_WindowActivate(ByVal Wn As Window)
End If
End Sub</pre>

So that if you activated the workbook, and the correct sheet is active, then the procedures get assigned. Me thinks you'll assign the procedures independant of whether you're on the correct sheet or not... The procedures posted last night worked fine under my tests with multiple workbooks open...

Also keep in mind, that the event only fires in the workbook is located in. If you hardcode the name, it won't fire correctly when you save the file as something else. It's not necessary and creates risk.

Have a nice weekend.

This message was edited by NateO on 2003-01-24 17:52

Upvote 0
The ActiveSheet.Index seems to work okay now, but I wasn't sure how to determine the index number. I used 'msgbox ActiveSheet.Index' to arrive at 2 and then did the following edit:

<pre>If ActiveSheet.Index = 2 Then

End If

End Sub</pre>

I just don't know an easy way to determine the index number because I don't know what it is. It seems to work fine now and my file name does incorporate the date so this will mean I don't have to go in and alter the code each time I save the file under a new name.

I guess with that you stole the HOF out from under me. :biggrin:

You Have a nice weekend too. And thanks again for all of your help.

Upvote 0
NateO

Great work!!.....I have amended code for
alternate use to the CF routine.
I'll keep this routine as an Alternate and
post to my site with Credits of course :biggrin:

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Option</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Explicit</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green">'/////////////////////////////////</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:green">'// Original by NateO for aldo ///</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:green">'// 24th Jan 2003 ///</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:green">'// Amended by IFM ///</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green">'/////////////////////////////////</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:green">'// Placed in a Std Module</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Dim</SPAN> strCol <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">String</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Dim</SPAN> iCol <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Integer</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Dim</SPAN> dblRow <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Double</SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Sub</SPAN> HighlightRight()
HighLight 0, 1
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Sub</SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Sub</SPAN> HighlightLeft()
HighLight 0, -1

<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Sub</SPAN> HighlightUp()
HighLight -1, 0, -1

<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Sub</SPAN> HighlightDown()
HighLight 1, 0, 1

<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Sub</SPAN> HighLight(dblxRow <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Double</SPAN>, iyCol <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Integer</SPAN>, <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Optional</SPAN> dblZ <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Double</SPAN> = 0)
<SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green">'</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN>// Amended to highlight Activecell cross intersection</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green">'</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN>// Amended as an Alternative to using Condtional Formats</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green">'</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN>// As per Aldo thread;</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green">'</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN>// http://www.mrexcel.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=19239&forum=2&start=20&22</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">GoTo</SPAN> NoGo

strCol = Mid(ActiveCell.Offset(dblxRow, iyCol).Address, _
InStr(ActiveCell.Offset(dblxRow, iyCol).Address, "$") + 1, _
InStr(2, ActiveCell.Offset(dblxRow, iyCol).Address, "$") - 2)
iCol = ActiveCell.Column
dblRow = ActiveCell.Row

<SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green">'</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN>// If you don<SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green">'</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN>t want screen flicker</SPAN>
Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:darkblue">False</SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:darkblue">With</SPAN> Range(strCol & ":" & strCol & "," & dblRow + dblZ & ":" & dblRow + dblZ)
.<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Select</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green">'</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN>// Need to reset here!</SPAN>
Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:darkblue">True</SPAN>
.Item(dblRow + dblxRow).Activate
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">With</SPAN>

NoGo:

<SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green">'</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN>// Placed in the ThisWorkbook Object</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Sub</SPAN> Workbook_Open()

<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Sub</SPAN> Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Boolean</SPAN>)
Application.OnKey "{UP}"
<SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green">'</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green">'</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN>EDIT: There is a slight screenflicker when</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green">'</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN>scrolling...Set ASU = False if Req.</SPAN></FONT>
EDIT: There is a slight screenflicker when
scrolling...Set ASU = False if Req.

Upvote 0
I used the Hall of Fame code from IVAN - and thx to mrxcels visitors i got a toggle button which when pressed upon disables/enables the column-row colouring.

Heres the code:
-----------------------------------
Private Sub ToggleButton1_Click()
If ToggleButton1.Value = True Then
ToggleButton1.Caption = " Turn Highlite On"
Cells.FormatConditions.Delete
Else
ToggleButton1.Caption = "Turn Highlite Off"
End If
End Sub
--------------------------------------
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim iColor As Integer
'// Amended routine found on this Web site
'// Note: Don't use IF you have Conditional
'// formating that you want to keep!

'// On error resume in case
'// user selects a range of cells
On Error Resume Next
iColor = Target.Interior.ColorIndex
'Leave On Error ON for Row offset errors

If iColor < 0 Then
iColor = 44
Else
iColor = 44
End If

'// Need this test incase Font color is the same
If iColor = Target.Font.ColorIndex Then iColor = 44

Cells.FormatConditions.Delete

If ToggleButton1.Value = False Then

'// Horizontal color banding
With Range("A" & Target.Row, Target.Address) 'Rows(Target.Row)
.FormatConditions.Add Type:=2, Formula1:="TRUE"
.FormatConditions(1).Interior.ColorIndex = iColor
End With

'// Vertical color banding
With Range(Target.Offset(1 - Target.Row, 0).Address & ":" & Target.Offset(-1, 0).Address) 'Rows(Target.Row)
.FormatConditions.Add Type:=2, Formula1:="TRUE"
.FormatConditions(1).Interior.ColorIndex = iColor
End With

End If

End Sub
---------------------------------------

I dunno if this helps but you may want to try it its up to you.

Upvote 0
Very nice Ivan.

I knew someone could do better code than what I had devised. (I am a very, very amateur tinkerer.) But what I was truly happy to see was the more defined active cell that you have coded in and I was blown away by the fact that you were able to incorporate the vertical highlight simultaneous to the horizontal using this highlight technique.

You are the master.

Thank you very much. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

(I almost believe that this type of highlighting should be hard coded into excel as a general, edit, or view option)

NateO, Ivan definitely gets my vote for HOF on this one. A guy can never have enough Can Koozies. :biggrin:

Upvote 0
Ivan,

Watching all that data disappear is a little hairy when you absent mindedly hit the 'delete' key while in the highlight mode, but the undo will bring it back so the following may not be necessary. I added the following code to your code which allows you to use the 'delete' key to clear the target cell. The delete key initially removes the highlights and selects the target cell and the subsequent pressing of the 'delete' key deletes the contents. The undo history remains intact. For deleting a range, use the mouse to highlight the range to be deleted and then hit the delete key while delete is enabled. Subsequent curser movement returns you to the highlight mode.

Added this line into the 'Highlight' subroutine:<pre> Application.OnKey "{DEL}", "DisableDelete"</pre>
And this subroutine into the macro module:<pre> Sub DisableDelete()
Cells(ActiveCell.Row, ActiveCell.Column).Select
Application.OnKey "{DEL}"
End Sub</pre>
It's a little awkward, but it does give you the delete function while you are coursing (I don't think cursoring is a word?) around the spreadsheet with the cursor keys.

-Aldo
This message was edited by aldo on 2003-01-27 19:50

Upvote 0
On 2003-01-27 12:57, aldo wrote:
Ivan,

Watching all that data disappear is a little hairy when you absent mindedly hit the 'delete' key while in the highlight mode, but the undo will bring it back so the following may not be necessary. I added the following code to your code which allows you to use the 'delete' key to clear the target cell. The delete key initially removes the highlights and selects the target cell and the subsequent pressing of the 'delete' key deletes the contents. The undo history remains intact. For deleting a range, use the mouse to highlight the range to be deleted and then hit the delete key while delete is enabled. Subsequent curser movement returns you to the highlight mode.

Added this line into the 'Highlight' subroutine:<pre> Application.OnKey "{DEL}", "DisableDelete"</pre>
And this subroutine into the macro module:<pre> Sub DisableDelete()
Cells(ActiveCell.Row, ActiveCell.Column).Select
Application.OnKey "{DEL}"
End Sub</pre>
It's a little awkward, but it does give you the delete function while you are coursing (I don't think cursoring is a word?) around the spreadsheet with the cursor keys.

-Aldo
This message was edited by aldo on 2003-01-27 19:50

Excellent.........will amend with your name
to it and post to my site....good work!!

Edit:
Aldo...it may pay to pu in

Sub DisableDelete()
Cells(ActiveCell.Row,ActiveCell.Column).clearcontents
End Sub

This message was edited by Ivan F Moala on 2003-01-27 22:13

Upvote 0
On 2002-08-18 20:04, Bethiepooh wrote:
I am interested in finding out how I can highlight the row I am currently working in? When I move rows, I want the highlighting to move to the appropriate row. How do you do this?

Just in case this escaped notice, XL has a native way to highlight the row and column of the active cell. In XL97 and 2000, the row and column id are raised and shown in bold. In XL2002, the row and column are flagged in a shade of blue. The option to show row and column headings does have to be enabled.

Upvote 0
On 2003-01-27 21:47, Ivan F Moala wrote:
Edit:
Aldo...it may pay to pu in

Sub DisableDelete()
Cells(ActiveCell.Row,ActiveCell.Column).clearcontents
End Sub
Won't that clear the undo history? I'm sorry, but I'm exceptionally mistake prone. I live and die by my undo button. :biggrin:
It's too bad vba has to mess with the undo history, cuz I definitely prefer the single keystroke on the code you suggest.
On the other hand, losing the undo history may not be that significant to others and this is your beast now anwyay. I have gotten what I need out of it. She's all yours now.
Thanks again,
-aldo

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJFabEngineering

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back