Holiday Dates Moving On Their Own

Data123

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
See attached image. I have holidays listed in cells "O2:O9" in column "O". So when I look at my Workday formula in column "N" , the first cell after the header shows the location as "O2:O9", which is perfect and it stays at this location.

However, if I look at the formula from the second cell in column "N" the holiday location moved to "O3:O10" and the third cell shows "O4:O11" and so on. Isn't the holiday location supposed to stay at the "O2:O9" location? When I correct cell two and three of column "N" to "O2:O9" they both revert to their incorrect holiday location.

Attachments

• Holiday Dates.JPG
    Holiday Dates.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 7

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
You need to change your references to absolute in your first formula before you fill down. Replace O2:O9 with $O$2:$O$9. That way they won't increment when you fill or copy down.

Another option would be to make your holiday dates a named range and use that name in your formula.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
You need to change your references to absolute in your first formula before you fill down. Replace O2:O9 with $O$2:$O$9. That way they won't increment when you fill or copy down.

Another option would be to make your holiday dates a named range and use that name in your formula.
thank you, that worked!!!! may i ask one of the columns shows "#BUSY!" in the cells now. Is this normal?

Upvote 0
850 rows and so far it's 12 columns wide, but i am not done and wanted to add several tabs (new sheets +). all i can say is i left excel alone for 45 min and no change then i closed the app and reloaded and 85% of the #BUSY! statements went away. do you pull stock data? excel 2007 sounds great if you have no throttle issues. may i ask are there any other common items in formulas i need to lock in with $$ signs?

Upvote 0
I haven't used Office 365, but from what I've seen on this forum, it is far more powerful, with many advanced functions. I don't pull stock data. If your sheet is referencing external data or has many volatile functions, that will slow it down.
Generally, if the formulas need to always reference a specific row, put the $ in front of the row number. If they need to always reference a specific column, put the $ in front of the column letter. If a specific cell or range of cells (as with your holiday list), then both letter and number get $.

Upvote 0
Thank you and I very much appreciated your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mystic19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back