How do I create a time / hourly axis chart?

jonbarrett

Hi,

I want to create a graph that shows the hours of the day on the x-axis and plot values along it from the y-axis.

The time intervals of the values that will be in a table, and plotted against the y-axis, are irregular i.e. a value at 9.00, 10.15, 11.34, 15.04 etc.

I have looked at using 'time-scale' axis but this only seems to treat all the values as a single date and not in an hourly manner.

I need to have a graph that plots the values in the right position relative to the time they occur on a 24 hour axis.

I hope this is clear enough.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
You'll need to use a Category axis type, then summarize, and sort your chart's source data. See the Excel Help topic for "About using dates in charts". Notice the notes in the "Time-scale charts and times" paragraph.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your response.

I checked out the Excel Help and it says the following:

"Time-scale charts and times You can't create time-scale charts from data that is measured at intervals of hours, minutes, or seconds. Only days, months, and years are considered base units in time-scale charts."

Does this mean that excel cannot cope with producing a graph based on time rather than date data?

Here is an example of what I'm trying to achieve:

The data would look like this:

Time Value
10:30:00 2
11:56:00 3
13:32:00 4
16:11:00 1
19:35:00 2

I want to create a line graph that plots the values against an x-axis that it related to time, i.e. the x-axis would be 24 hours, and the values plotted at the right point in time.

Any further ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jon

Upvote 0
tusharm

I thought the same thing and if he wanted a line graph, he could join the points manually but is there a macro that could do that?

I went down the route of seriescollection.points(x).

but couldn't find a method or property to tell excel where to start / finish the line - do you have any thoughts?

Upvote 0
No need to join anything manually. One of the options (sub-charts) for the XY Scatter chart is a chart with lines.
tmischler said:
tusharm

I thought the same thing and if he wanted a line graph, he could join the points manually but is there a macro that could do that?

I went down the route of seriescollection.points(x).

but couldn't find a method or property to tell excel where to start / finish the line - do you have any thoughts?

Upvote 0
Spot on! That works great, and by adding the date to the time I can follow one day's values with another days and it plots it against a minutes/hours x-axis.

Cheers.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mytux

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back