How do I get it to stop converting to dates?

snipescc

Board Regular
Hi everyone. I've been having a problem lately. Excel loves to convert any number with a dash or slash in it into a date, and sometimes I really don't want it to. I'm text-to-columning a list of people who are assigned divisions in the format 01-01, and as soon as I do text to columns, it converts their division to a data, which I really don't want. The original cells look like this.
<table style="width: 352px; height: 36px;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><col width="291"><tr height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt; width: 218pt;" width="291" height="20"> 01-01 D Smith John</td> </tr></table>In the past I have tried every cell format to get it to stop converting numbers that have a dash or slash in it to a date, and nothing has worked except putting a single quote mark in first. But I'd like to know if there is another way to get it to stop turning my divisions into dates.

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
The MS Excel development team are holding a feedback forum of suggestions for the next version of Excel. There is a submission to turn off auto date formatting here - Allow us to turn off automatic conversion to date. Please vote it up as a way of solving this issue.
Great idea!
I've spent too much time over the last couple of days trying to convert (what are possibly) American-style dates to English ones. Did it OK, but the time spent was in my view unnecessary.

Like when I get something like 3/5/15 is this 5th March or is it 3rd May?
Easy to convert between them if one knows where it came from, but how to know that?
If they could automatically convert to general format instead of date format then that would make it all so much easier.

Upvote 0
I'm text-to-columning a list of people who are assigned divisions in the format 01-01, and as soon as I do text to columns, it converts their division to a data, which I really don't want.
In the Text-To-Columns dialog box, at Step 3 of 3, select the column in the table with your dashed/slashed values and then select the Text option button... that will set the return values to text for that column in the output.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatGuyCap

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back