How do I set conditions before using "split"

zany username

I'm completely new to VBA but I found some very helpful code in an older thread: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/543349-extract-text-between-two-points.html

Using "Split":

Code:
Public Sub Test1()

Dim oTarget As Range
Dim oCell As Range

Set oTarget = ActiveSheet.Range("A2:A2043")

For Each oCell In oTarget

oCell.Offset(0, 4).Value = Split(Split(oCell.Value, "Date_stamp:")(1), "Payment_made:")(0)

Next oCell

End Sub

Thanks Gary, that's accomplised what I was originally failing to do with MID() :) but what I'm hoping someone can show me now is how I can set conditions on using Split.

I have dumped data from emails into Excel 2010 in cells A2:A2043 and I'm spliting it for ease of viewing but I need the code to check if the cell contains a specific string and if skip to the next cell if it doesn't. For instance when the customer hasn't made a payment it will skip as there isn't anything to split after that point and continue spliting if they answered Yes.
Examples are:
Customer_Number: 11338849

Invoice_Period: 30/06/13

Attendance_type: Group

BookingDate_stamp: 03/07/2013

Payment_made: No
Customer_Number: 11338849

Invoice_Period: 30/06/13

Attendance_type: Group

BookingDate_stamp: 03/07/2013

Payment_made: Yes

Payment_method: Cheque

Payment_date: 14/06/2013

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

Ideally I would have extracted directly from Outlook but that's a different problem for another day at this stage, so I wan't to carry on from where I am. Also, how am I going to extract that last date :eek: Can I Split between "Payment_date:" and the end of the cell?

Best regards,
Zany

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
What string are you looking for and what do you want to happen when it's found?

Upvote 0
If the cell contains "Payment_made: Yes" then it will

Code:
oCell.Offset(0, 4).Value = Split(Split(oCell.Value, "Payment_made:")(1), "Payment_method:")(0)

and carry on to

Code:
oCell.Offset(0, 5).Value = Split(Split(oCell.Value, "Payment_method:")(1), "Payment_date:")(0)

Upvote 0
To check if oCell contains 'Payment_Made:' you can use this.
Code:
Pos = InStr(oCell.Value, "Payment_Made:")

If Pos > 0 Then
    ' oCell contains 'Payment_Made:'
End If
Note Pos will be the index of the character where the string you are looking for starts, for example if the string was 'Test Payment_Made: Yes' then Pos would be 6.

Upvote 0
Thanks for you help so far Norie.

What's happening is currently when I try to extract the Payment_Method: I get Run-time error '9': Subscript out of range.
I take it that is because the cell it is looking at doesn't contain Payment_method: because they answered No to the above question.

How do I make an If the cell contains "Payment_made:Yes" Then extract their Payment_method and have it carry on to extract Payment_date?

Code:
If oCell.Value, "Payment_Made:" Then
oCell.Offset(0, 5).Value = Split(Split(oCell.Value, "Payment_method:")(1), "Payment_date:")(0)

End If

Next oCell

?

Upvote 0
You can use InStr, as I did in the code I posted, to see if a substring is contained within a string.

An alternative would be to not try to do everything in one line.

Upvote 0
I have no experience with any coding, I've only managed to get this far out of sheer desperation and countless Google searches.

I've tried putting what you provided me into the existing code I found but keep getting compile errors or it doesn't do anything. Would you mind putting this together, please?
</SPAN>

Upvote 0
Based on the few lines of code you've posted.
Code:
Pos = InStr(oCell.Value, "Payment_Made:")

If Pos > 0 Then
End If

By the way, you could avoid errors by not doing everything on one line.

Upvote 0
That's how I had tried it. I don't receive any errors but it's not doing anything - it's not extracting anything from the target or updating the spread-sheet.

Code:
Public Sub ExtractPayment_date()

Dim oTarget As Range
Dim oCell As Range

Set oTarget = ActiveSheet.Range("A2:A2043")

For Each oCell In oTarget

Pos = InStr(oCell.Value, "Payment_Made:Yes")
If Pos > 0 Then
oCell.Offset(0, 6).Value = Split(Split(oCell.Value, "Payment_method:")(1), "Payment_date:")(0)   
End If

Next oCell
End Sub

Upvote 0
Is it definitely 'Payment:Yes' without a space?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eggy66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back