How to Activate/Merge Multiple Dependent Dropdown menus based on a Cell with Multiple Data Validation Selections

incem

I have 2 questions:

1. I have constructed a Macro workbook divided by three tabs: “IDL," “HSN" and “ List”. The List tab, outlines all the drop down menu options based on Categories (Apparel, Bath Bedding, Décor, Furniture etc.). For example if the user chooses “Apparel” in Column E, the dependent dropdown menu in Column F shows:

Blouse
Blazer
Pant

This is possible by using data validation (=indirect(E2)). Column E is formatted in a way that you could make multiple selections such as "Apparel" and " Décor," which would be stacked versus separated by a comma. I have adhered to the instructions found on Contextures (http://www.contextures.com/excel-data-validation-multiple.html) regarding selecting multiple items from an Excel data validation list. The VBA code used is:

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim rngDV As Range
Dim oldVal As String
If Target.Count > 1 Then GoTo exitHandler

On Error Resume Next
Set rngDV = Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeAllValidation)
On Error GoTo exitHandler

If rngDV Is Nothing Then GoTo exitHandler

If Intersect(Target, rngDV) Is Nothing Then
'do nothing

Else
Application.EnableEvents = False
newVal = Target.Value
Application.Undo
oldVal = Target.Value
Target.Value = newVal
If oldVal = "" Then
'do nothing
Else
If newVal = "" Then
'do nothing
Else
Target.Value = oldVal _
& " " & newVal
' NOTE: you can use a line break,
' instead of a comma
' Target.Value = oldVal _
' & Chr(10) & newVal
End If
End If
End If

exitHandler:
Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub

CHALLENGE: If I make multiple selections in Column E such as "Apparel" and "Décor" the data validation formula (=indirect(E1)) only recognizes the initial selection and not the second or third. So you are left in Column F with only the Apparel dependent list to select from versus having BOTH the Apparel and Décor dependent drop down lists. How can I resolve this?

2. How do I add a pop up calendar that activates when a specific column (i.e. Col. A) is selected, then disappears after the users has selected their date?

• I have created a Macro Calendar called ‘IDL_HSN Database_Draft.xlsm’! Show Calendar. Show Calendar. But don't want the user to have to click on an icon in order to enter dates in column A.

Please advise.

Sincerely,

Maria

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Hi Maria,

Any luck with figuring this out? I'm running into this challenge as well. I have constructed a data validation list cell L5 and a subsequent dependent list in M5 (both pulling from pivot tables because I need the lists to be dynamic). I've formatted L5 to be able to make multiple selections, but then the list in M5 does not recognize these multiple selections.

Any thoughts?

Alex

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriscavsib

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back