How to add an excel column that is in sync with power query table

Martin sherk

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
So i have a power query connection/Table in Excel, i added a new column called Comments (column F) and i fill it manually

The problem is this comments column is not in sync with my power query table and when i refresh the query, the comments column becomes messed up, how to make my comments column in sync with the power query connection/Table

Book1
ABCDEF
4Invoice No.PayerCus.CurrencyESComments
51AEUSDRPaid
62BFUSDWwaiting conf.
73CGUSDEcheck
84DHUSDEmail
Sheet1

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
So i have a power query connection/Table in Excel, i added a new column called Comments (column F) and i fill it manually

The problem is this comments column is not in sync with my power query table and when i refresh the query, the comments column becomes messed up, how to make my comments column in sync with the power query connection/Table
See my article here Self Referencing Tables in Power Query

Upvote 0
Solution
May i ask you, if i have 4 tables under each other.. which propreties do u choose to not mess up the data or display error messages when you refresh queries?

1669406895690.png

does the above options are the best options?

Upvote 0
What do you mean "4 tables under each other"? Do you mean 4 source tables appended? The most important thing for this technique is you must have a unique key for each row that does not change. This means you can't add the key in PQ, it must be added at the source. Assuming you have a key in the tables, you could concatenate the file name and key name

Upvote 0
What do you mean "4 tables under each other"? Do you mean 4 source tables appended? The most important thing for this technique is you must have a unique key for each row that does not change. This means you can't add the key in PQ, it must be added at the source. Assuming you have a key in the tables, you could concatenate the file name and key name
i have 4 table queries under each other, and i wish to find a way where can i refresh all tables when the source data changes without messing up form or leaving extra unneeded rows.
Do you please have an article for what unique key means or a way to make each table unique?

Book5
ABCDE
1CodeCustomerReference-*
2AFSALARY1000
3BGSALARY1000
4CHSALARY1000
5DWSALARY1000
6ESSALARY1000
11CodeCustomerReferencePay-
12AFSALARY1000
13BGSALARY1000
14CHSALARY1000
15DWSALARY1000
16ESSALARY1000
21CodeCustomerReferencePay-
22AFSALARY100
23BGSALARY100
24CHSALARY100
25DWSALARY100
26ESSALARY100
30CodeCustomerReferencePay-
31AFSALARY100
32BGSALARY100
33CHSALARY100
34DWSALARY100
35ESSALARY100
Sheet1

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eggy66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back