how to calculate amortization amount

bigdan

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi guys, I'm having trouble figuring out the formula for the amortization amount I should choose.

In the table below I've entered in the values that should be in there. I've tested it in 4 scenarios. In the first 2 it works fine, in the second two it doesnt. I'm hoping someone can advise.

The main thing I need help with is col K. I'm assuming the current month is June, so I need to calculate the amortized amount for June. The way to do that is to divide the total dollar amount by the number of months, which gives the monthly amount; however since there cant be anything before the current month (Jan-May), I'd want June to have the YTD figures. Even that would be easy enough if everything was starting in Jan, but often times something starts in April or June itself.

That all sounds pretty complicated but the table below has the correct values, so I'm hoping someone can advise.

Thanks so much!

Excel 2012
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQR
1Accounted NetCoverage PeriodStartEnd# of MonthsJanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDecAmortized
21,000.00Jan - Dec 2016JanDec125008383838383831,000
31,000.00Jan - Aug 2016JanAug87501251251,000
41,000.00Apr - June 2016AprJun31,0001,000
51,000.00Apr - July 2016AprJul47502501,000
8Current Month6
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
L3=$A3/$E3
L5=A5/E5
L2=$A2/$E2
M3=$A3/$E3
M2=$A2/$E2
K5=A5/E5*3
K2=$A2/$E2*$B$8
N2=$A2/$E2
O2=$A2/$E2
P2=$A2/$E2
Q2=$A2/$E2
R2=SUM(F2:Q2)

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
If I understand what you are looking for, a solution is attached and below. I changed the spreadsheet slightly so that the Start, End, Current Month and monthly column headings contain actual dates. Once that is done, the formula for cell F2 is:
Code:
=IF(F$1<$B$8,0,IF(F$1<$C2,0,IF(F$1>$D2,0,$A2/$E2+IF(F$1=$B$8,((YEAR($B$8)-YEAR($C2))*12+MONTH($B$8)-MONTH($C2))*($A2/$E2),0))))

This formula can be filled down/right for all cells in F2:Q5. The formula basically checks to see if the current month is within the range of the start/end dates, and if so whether there is accumulated billing that needs to be included from policy months prior to the Current Month. See the "Solution" tab of this spreadsheet for the implemented solution.

Hope that's helpful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If I understand what you are looking for, a solution is attached and below. I changed the spreadsheet slightly so that the Start, End, Current Month and monthly column headings contain actual dates. Once that is done, the formula for cell F2 is:
Code:
=IF(F$1<$B$8,0,IF(F$1<$C2,0,IF(F$1>$D2,0,$A2/$E2+IF(F$1=$B$8,((YEAR($B$8)-YEAR($C2))*12+MONTH($B$8)-MONTH($C2))*($A2/$E2),0))))

This formula can be filled down/right for all cells in F2:Q5. The formula basically checks to see if the current month is within the range of the start/end dates, and if so whether there is accumulated billing that needs to be included from policy months prior to the Current Month. See the "Solution" tab of this spreadsheet for the implemented solution.

Hope that's helpful.

Thanks so much! For the solution, as well as showing me a new way to do spreadsheets for example purposes. Looks awesome!

Upvote 0
For future reference, is there a way to see the formulas in this worksheet without downloading? I thought I was able to see them when you first uploaded this but I'm not seeing it now somehow.

Upvote 0
For future reference, is there a way to see the formulas in this worksheet without downloading? I thought I was able to see them when you first uploaded this but I'm not seeing it now somehow.

I gave you the formula for cell F2 in my first post. You just have to make sure you are using actual dates for Start, End, Current Month and monthly column headings. Once you do that, you can fill my F2 formula down/right. Or just download the sample workbook.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickWBA

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back