How to change a word/number to another word automatically using VBA

fmorenojr

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Good morning, everyone,

I am working on a spreadsheet for my manager. We use a number system for locations that we have in our organization. What I am trying to do is once the number is added into a cell, it would automatically change to the location. I tried looking for a code online but maybe I wasn't as descriptive in the search bar as i was not able to produce results.

For example, if someone puts "02" in any cell under D, it will change to "02 - Storefront." if someone puts "03" in any cell under D, it will change to "03 - Call Center" and so forth. I have 14 locations that I have to add. I am not sure if I VBA used would house all the locations or would the VBA be used individually for each location.

any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Like most things, there are a number of ways to accomplish that. The simplest is probably to use the Worksheet Change event and hard code the definitions. An example would be
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    If Not Application.Intersect(Target, Me.Columns("D:D")) Is Nothing And Target.Cells.Count = 1 Then
        Application.EnableEvents = False
        Select Case Target.Value
        Case 1
            Target.Value = "01 - Warehouse."
        Case 2
            Target.Value = "02 - Storefront."
        Case 3
            Target.Value = "03 - Call Center."
        End Select
        Application.EnableEvents = True
    End If
End Sub

You would fill out the rest of your 14 location code definitions. The sub is located in the worksheet code module.

Upvote 0
On one sheet you should create a lookup table with the number code in column A and the full expansion in column B. I will call this sheet Locations. That way you can change the codes without having to update code.

If a user types "02" Excel will interpret it as 2, unless you have formatted the column as Text. You might want to do that for both column A of the Locations sheet and the column where you are entering the codes.

VBA Code:

Dim Cell As Range
   Dim Found As Range

For Each Cell In Target

If Cell.Value <> "" And Cell.Column = 1 Then ' column A
         ' Find the code
         Set Found = Worksheets("Locations").Range("A:A").Find(what:=Cell.Value, lookat:=xlWhole)
         If Found Is Nothing Then
            MsgBox "Code " & Cell.Value & " not found"
         Else
            Cell = Found.Offset(0, 1)
         End If
      End If

Next Cell

End Sub

$scratch.xlsm
AB
10202 - Storefront
20303 - Call Center
Locations

If you want to make this a little fancy you can use Data Validation lists for data entry rather than typing in the numbers.

Upvote 0
Solution
On one sheet you should create a lookup table with the number code in column A and the full expansion in column B. I will call this sheet Locations. That way you can change the codes without having to update code.

If a user types "02" Excel will interpret it as 2, unless you have formatted the column as Text. You might want to do that for both column A of the Locations sheet and the column where you are entering the codes.

VBA Code:

Dim Cell As Range
   Dim Found As Range

For Each Cell In Target

' Find the code
         Set Found = Worksheets("Locations").Range("A:A").Find(what:=Cell.Value, lookat:=xlWhole)
         If Found Is Nothing Then
         Else
         End If
      End If

Next Cell

End Sub

$scratch.xlsm
AB
10202 - Storefront
20303 - Call Center
Locations

If you want to make this a little fancy you can use Data Validation lists for data entry rather than typing in the numbers.

VBA Code:

Dim Cell As Range
   Dim Found As Range

For Each Cell In Target

' Find the code
         If Found Is Nothing Then
         Else
         End If
      End If

Next Cell

End Sub

$scratch.xlsm
AB
10202 - Storefront
20303 - Call Center
Locations

I tried following the steps you provided, but it seems I am doing something wrong.

1. I created a new sheet and named it "Locations". Under column A it has the "codes", under column B it has the "full name of location." this is sheet 9.
2. I made sure that the location sheet that both colums are set for "text" and not "number."
3. I added the VBA code under "thisworkbook".
4. I went to sheet 2 and sheet 3 under column D and typed "2" and not thing happened. This would be the only two sheets where this change would be applied to.

not sure what I am doing wrong.

Upvote 0
3. I added the VBA code under "thisworkbook".
The code @6StringJazzer posted was intended to go in a worksheet code module, not the ThisWorkbook code module. Move the code to the sheet 2 and/or sheet 3 code module and try again. I would recommend starting with just sheet 2 and get things working there first, then we can talk about what workbook-level event code in ThisWorkbook might work for you.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I should have been more specific. The code goes into the module for the sheet where the user is entering the data.
I added the code on one of the sheets and it's still not working. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the below. the two sheets where the data is supposed to go has a custom name, so does the other sheet (3rd image). LOC is Location.

1697660799871.png
1697660899033.png
1697660928632.png

Upvote 0
VBA Code:

If you have not done it already, change Cell.Column = 1 to Cell.Column = 4 so it references col D instead of col A

Upvote 0
VBA Code:

If you have not done it already, change Cell.Column = 1 to Cell.Column = 4 so it references col D instead of col A
I tried that and I get this error message.

1697664429744.png
1697664559359.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fragment

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back