How to conditionally format cell as percentage?

vanclute

Board Regular
I'm using Mac Excel 2011.

It seems that CF only supports style changes like color, font, etc. and not formatting changes like currency, percentage, etc. If this is not the case, how does one do this?

Assuming my above assumption is correct, how can I achieve the following:

I have two columns, one that labels the type of data that is in the second column, and then the data itself. For instance:

A                B
bids          0.0012
spreader   on
potency    0.75

I would like to format the data in column B, based on the content of column A. So for instance B1 should be currency, B2 should be text ("General" would be fine), and B3 should be Percentage.

Thanks for any pointers!

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
I entered 1 in A1 and 0.5 in B1. Then, I set a condition "=A1=1" on B1 and set the B1's format to percentage (all under Conditional Formatting). When I changed the value in A1 to 1, B1 became 50.00%. If I put 2 in A1, B1 showed 0.5. This proves Conditional Formatting can handle format changes, at least for percentage.

Upvote 0
set the B1's format to percentage (all under Conditional Formatting).

But how can you set that under CF when there is no option to do so? CF (remember, I'm on Mac in Excel 2011) does not offer any formatting options other than stylistic ones.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Well, looks like you need to wait till the next upgrade. I'm surprised to see that after all these years, the discrepancy between Windows and Mac version is still considerable.

Upvote 0
Yeah there are a number of "little things" like this that are different and at this stage, feel like they always will be. I guess I'm just SOL on this. How annoying. Sigh...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back