how to convert string into readable format for =DATEVALUE?

lougs7

Hi all,

please view image to understand what i'm talking about!

425131d1444938935-how-to-convert-string-into-readable-format-for-datevalue-capture.png

I imported billing dates into my master file (column B), using logic in excel I broke up the string of the billing period to properly identify the Start and End dates. Now I would like to convert these strings in columns D and E into actual recognized dates in Excel so I can reference these dates in =netwokringdays and other formulas. I tried using the =DATEVALUE function but it returns a #VALUE error. I am not sure why because the format mm/dd/yyyy is one that the function should recognize.

can someone tell me how to convert columns D and E into Excel Dates using a formula, not manually? maybe it is the syntax that is wrong? maybe there is another formula that can be used? I am really stuck here and could use any help :) appreciate your time guys

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Welcome to the board.

Pictures don't really help alot.
A) Some (many) people here can't even see them due to firewall restrictions
B) We can't copy/paste stuff from a picture into our own books for troubleshooting.

Can you post a few examples of the original string (prior to extracting dates with mid type functions)

Upvote 0
Hi. It may be the cell format? I have just typed in exactly what your query is and got a result as below - all cells formatted to "general"

10/19/2014 - 11/1/2014 (Final invoice)11/1/2014 41944

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

If you follow the HTML Maker link in my sig you'll be able to post screen shots.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back